Looking for Smart Dimension Help

Pioneer
Pioneer

So my boss wants to be able to copy/paste features that several parts we make have in common.  We are calling them out as a section view or something similar on the drawings we send out to the shop floor.  So lets say we have 20 different types of tapped holes.I will make a 10x10x10 cube with a hole in it.  I will then take 20 of these cubes and make an assembly of them spaced apart about 10 mm.  Now I have a cool drawing with all of the holesin it to use as a reference drawing or Engineering Standard.. 

When it comes time to make a new drawing where we need to call out what kind of hole, my boss wants to be able to copy/paste the hole section view i made into the new drawing.  Solid Edge wont let me do that because its part of an assembly.  What I did was to make a second sheet where I converted each individual block to 2D view.  Then I could copy paste them over individually. 

Only problem is he wants me to go through and use Smart Dimension on all of them as our new drawing standard way of dimensioning.  Not only that, but I have to tolerance all of them as well.  Now that my geometry isnt connected to a model anymore Smart Dimension wont work on the converted 2D models.  Is there any way to get around this and add the tolerancing that i need without haveing to go through and manually edit each individual string in the preferences?

any help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY

Re: Looking for Smart Dimension Help

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like you have full Solid Edge but you are posting to the forum for Free 2D users.  I would post to the Solid Edge Forum for this kind of question.

On thing you can do is in your assembly, create a separate Configuration for each block with only that block shown.  Then when you create your individual views, just specify that particular Configuration.  If using ST8, when you create your individual views, you can specify the individual assembly components to create a drawing view after placing an initial drawing view of the assembly...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1