MAJOR MENU PROBLEMS - LOST AND CAN'T FIND

N/A
Ricky, got a new problem not experienced before. Here goes:

Starting a few days ago, I would notice that it would take more than one try to get my Radial command selection to stick.

Than today the entire Radial menu changed to something I didn’t setup or recognize.

After repeated tries to re customize my Radial menu, the Quick Access menu disappeared.

After repeatedly trying to re customize my Quick Access menu, it wouldn’t stick between the Model and the Block enviroments. I would fix one and lose the other and vice versa.

Now all of the named menus show the same configuration. So I gave up trying.

As I think back over the last day or so, one thing I did that I haven’t intentionally done in the pass is close a file with the Block editing environment still opened. Is this a NO-NO?

As a side note to possibly improving on this exercise in customizing menus, keep it simple. Too many choices. By the time I figured out how it works when I first downloaded ST4, I inadvertently created new themes that I didn’t want. And now I have 6including the SE default. And there is no way to delete them once created.

HELP!!??

Thanks,
Ron
14 REPLIES

Re: MAJOR MENU PROBLEMS - LOST AND CAN'T FIND

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Ron,
So what is it that you want to reset? Everything?

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Ricky, I “lost” my custom settings for all menus in all environments plus any attempt to regain the settings won’t stick. I also noticed today that the refresh rate when switching menu names when I tried again is very slow. So slow that the ribbon was blank and as I waived my cursor over it, the icons gradually appeared as if I was wiping away a film.

So what do I want to reset? Good question. I think the software is misbehaving for some reason(s). If you don’t have fix, than I think we need to reset the entire program back to default settings. When I had some strange problems with a much earlier version(s), you told me how to use the Registry Editor and editing/deleting HKEY_CURRENT_USER. But that was on another computer on a different version and a different operating system. If that can still be done, tell me how for Windows 7/64. If not, then maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall.

Ron

Community Manager
Ron,
The registry entry you need to reset is "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Unigraphics Solutions/Solid Edge".
Start with that.

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Ricky, I want to sure that I do this correctly. I opened the RE and follow the trail you gave me. Below is a site with the screen capture video of what I see. If previous experience holds, I should delete the “Solid Edge” folder with everything in it.

Correct?

http://screencast.com/t/oyS1x4l3iiA

Just a thought, I would hate to go thru this and then find out you are coming out with a new version in the next few days.

Thanks,
Ron

Community Manager
Ron,
This is the correct registry entry. I have one comment about customization. Do customization in smaller increments. Add some customization and verify it. Then do some more and verify, etc.

Solid Edge 2D Drafting ST5 will be released soon. We are in the process of delivering all languages of Solid Edge at this time. 2D Drafting will follow.

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Ricky, I deleted the Solid Edge folder using the RE and opened SE. I had hoped that my previously created numerous menu names would ve gone away so I could start from scratch. But they didn t. Should they have?

Also, here are some more unexpected findings:

1. In order to work with just one of the 5 custom menu names beside SOLID EDGE DEFAULT (SED), I saved the other 4 names as SED. Than I tried to customize just one of my custom names. In doing so, all names reverted to the same settings as the SED including my one chosen name. Confusing, you bet which is why I was hoping to get rid of all of them and start over.
2. My custom styles still exist.
3. A thread that I initiated shortly after ST 4 came out re my UNDO/REDO icon would not stick and would disappear when I changed screens, e.g., Model to Draft. That same problem still is with me.

So I again to deleted the Solid Edge folder re the Registry Editor and restarted my PC before reopening SE. This didn t help either. All my custom names still show up along with some but not all of my settings.

Is there any way to get a virgin SE program or should I just wait for the new version?

Thanks,
Ron

Community Manager
Ron,

There is more you need to do.

Regardless, on a Vista and Windows 7 system, you will need to delete all of the folders beneath the following:

Users\\AppData\Roaming\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\version <#>\Customization

Beneath the Customization folder you should see folders that are titled with the name of your theme. In each folder you should see 4 files one for QAT, one for Keyboard, one for Radial Menu, and one for Ribbon.

If you delete all of this customization you should be back to ground zero with Solid Edge Default .

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Ricky, I couldn t follow the trail you indicated. I could get as far as Users\Ronald\ but then I coudn t find AppData\Roaming\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\version <#>\Customization. I searched without success.

Here s a screen capture of my Windows Explorer file directory:

http://screencast.com/t/kneSKPUw0

But after issuing this reply, I tried again just searching for SOLID EDGE. I knew it had to be there because the entire trail showed up under my external hard drive root. But for some reason, APPDATA folder didn t show up under my internal hard drive directory. Anyway, I did find it and deleted all versions under CUSTOMIZATION.

Now I have a pristine version and I ll try not to screw this one up.

Thanks,
Ron

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Ron, Windows hides the folder from you. Can show it by turning off the setting in Folder Options.
Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1