Name 2D Drawing Views

I'm new to Solid Edge and this is my first post, so please excuse me if this has been asked before.  I did search the forum but couldn't find anything relevant.

I only draw in 2D and have a working sheet with lots of drawing views showing different parts of my 2D model, but I can't find any way to name these views.  I would like to do so, because I want to hide/show different layers in each view, but in the Layers Tab/Drawing Views, every view is simply called "Draft".  the only way I can work out which set of layers to modify is to click on each "Draft" successively until the correct view is highlighted.

I have played around with the view Properties/Captions and Descriptions, but these seem to have no effect (or, at least, not what I want).  Perhaps I have not set up the views correctly?  I used the 2D Model command from working sheet/Tables tab and simply inserted the selected area into my working sheet at the scale I wanted.

Thanks for any help/guidance you can give.

Richard H
using ST9/Windows 10 for 2D drafting only
3 REPLIES

Re: Name 2D Drawing Views

[ Edited ]

Hi there @RichardH,

Firstly, welcome to Solid Edge & the SE-Community,  and a great question!

Here's my NZ$0.02 worth....

An alternate way you might find to your current work flow, could be to place a single scaled view of you 2D Model on the working sheet, then make use of the "Detail" function......see attached "Properties" [found on the selected view's ribbon bar, or right click on the view to access it] and also and example file [ST9] using detail views, with a few different shapes [each detail view can be scaled independantly]..... HTH.

2017-02-16 (1).png

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I don't think there is a way to have one "2D model", and then also have the different "Views" show the same model, but in different layer states.

Think you'd need to have multiple copies of the 2D model to achieve this.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thank you for that, Sean. 

Yes, that's certainly a way that seems to work, though it is not what I was really wanting.  It does allow me to identify which view is which in the Layers tab, but is seems slightly more awkward to manipulate the views.  Perhaps I just need to get used to it.

Contrary to your EDIT, I do have multiple drawing views on one working sheet, all showing the same 2D model but with different layer visibility states.  Is that perhaps an ST9 improvement?  That meant that if I wanted a similar views (same layer states), then I could copy/paste the view, whereas using the detail view gives me a duplicate drawing view of the entire scaled model and a detail of the same name (albeit, I can change the name).  I didn't want a view of the model on my working sheet, but I have found that that it can be off the edge of the sheet and then doesn't print.

Simply naming the drawing views would be a nice feature, but maybe I just have to persevere with your method and work out whether it's easier than working in the dark with all views showing "Draft".

Thanks for your input.

Richard H
using ST9/Windows 10 for 2D drafting only

[ Edited ]

@RichardH,

I actually tried a 2D model "with layers" just now, ....and Dang, you're quite right! [stuck in the 3D model handling mode, I guess] Robot surprised

2017-02-16 (2).png

Agree, the use of the same drawing view titles is completely ambiguous.....that would be a nice enhancement, to have them able to be renamed by the user. 

Are you listening in the background by any chance @rlblack?  Robot wink

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10