cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to change Dimension of line using 'smart dimensions'

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I cannot change the length of a line using "Smart Dimension". When I apply "Smart Dimension" the dimension is highlighted green.

I tried the solution https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Beginner-Can-t-adjust-dimension-whe... but although I checked the lock nothing changed. Additional the dimension is highlithed in green.

What does this mean?

I appreciate your help.

PS.: Does anyone know good online ressources for solid edge? I have to say that the help documentation is rather bad.

8 REPLIES

Re: Not able to change Dimension of line using 'smart dimensions'

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you have Maintain Relationships enabled or disabled? It is in the Relate command group. Last column top button. If this is disabled, new dimensions placed will be driven. By the way the green color means exactly that, the dimension does not drive the geometry, therefore it is a driven by the geometry it is connected to.

There are other ways to get driven dimensions. With maintain relationships enabled, place a line and then a dimension on the line. Then place another dimension on the line. The first will be black and will be a driving dimension. The second is green and is a driven dimension. Both dimensions cannot drive the geometry. This would be an over constrained condition and is disallowed.

Regards,

Rick B.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for your help!

I tried enabled and disabled but I still get the same result.

I tried your example and the result is that both dimensions are displayed green. I get the result you mentioned above by locking one and unlocking the other dimension.

Community Manager

What version of the software are you running? Is this in all files or just this one file? Can you post an example draft file?

Regards,

Rick B.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I use the version: Solid Edge Freedraft ST8.

Concerning the example: I check the rigid body set ( connected lines). There are not locked and the two dimensions should not be in a conflict.

Can anyone recommend a good online ressource / help / tutorial for solid edge?

Thanks for the help so far!

Community Manager

I have attached an updated draft file. The dimensions are now driving. The following are the steps I used to fix the geometry.

1. Deleted the Rigid Set Constraint.

2. The second and third lines from the bottom are not connected. There is a gap between them. Add a connect relationship between the lines choosing the end point of the third line first followed by the end point of the second line.

3. Select the lines and add the Rigid Set Constraint again.

4. Select the dimensions one at a time and click the lock to make them driving dimensions.

Without further analysis, I don't know why the gap mattered within the Rigid Set. But this fixes the issue.

Regards,

Rick B.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you very much! I discovered the problem you mentioned.

I tried to implement your solution and I tested your file: I noticed, that, after you connected the third to the second line, you didn't set the lines to rigid set.

When I set the lines to rigid set in your modified example I still cannot set both dimensions.

Do you have any idea?

So I did another test: if i first apply smart dimensions (without modifing the value) and afterwards set the lines to rigid set then I can modify both dimensions.

But if i remove the both smart dimensions, set the lines to rigid set, apply smart dimension again and try to change the value I can only drive one dimension.

That is a strange behaviour. Do you have any idea?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Ok, I reached a solution:

1. Remove the Rigid Set
  2. Apply needed Dimension and set to Drive
  3. Apply Rigid Set

I have no idea what causes this behaviour.

Thank you for all the help!

Community Manager

I don't know what I did to remove the Rigid Set constraint just before saving. I was working with Undo/Redo and must have removed that constraint. I atached an example where I created the constraint first then the dimensons. I did notice that the dimensions display as driven until you click to place them. then they will be driving. So in the example attached, the Rigid Set constraint was placed first followed by the dimensions.

Regards,

Rick B.