OFFSET DIMENSIONS LOSS UPON MIRRORING

N/A
Ricky, I haven’t an issue to ask about in a long time. I’ve managed to deal with, work around, etc. the different idiosyncrasies associated with ST4. But one thing keeps bugging me enough to ask about.

I use the offset command frequently. Whenever I do a mirror image of a group or block with offsets, all of the offset driver dimensions are lost. As a consequence, there is often some minor shifting in the position of elements. Is there a way to maintain those dimensions?

Thanks,
Ron
4 REPLIES

Re: OFFSET DIMENSIONS LOSS UPON MIRRORING

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Ron,
I am going to need more details. You start off by discussing Offset. Are you refering to the Offset command which creates a constraint and dimension? Or, are you talking about offsetting something in general terms?

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Ricky, I mean the offset command that generates the controlling dimension for each offset. I created a block and than realized it would be better to have it configured as opposite hand or mirror image. I tried doing the mirror command both in the Model and in the block enviroment. I also made a simple rectangular group with offsets to test. In all cases that I tried, the offset controlling dimensions were lost in the mirrored result.

Thanks,
Ron

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Ron,
I am creating mirrors including offset geometry with no problem. I am thinking that you are not including enough geometry in the mirror to maintain the offset. Start simple. Draw a vertical line. Draw a second vertical line. Offset the second vertical line. You will see a third line, an offset constraint, and a dimension. Run the mirror command. Fence select the second and third line. Use the first line as the mirrir axis by clicking on it. You will get two mirrored lines, a mirrored offset, a dimension for the new offset, and mirrir constraints. Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Ricky, please forgive me but instead of your simple example, I decided to create a more complex shape. The following website has a video of what I get when I use the MIRROR command on a group and a BLOCK:

http://screencast.com/t/6xBy8apv

I made the initial shape:
• with MAINTAIN RELATIONSHIPS & AUTOMATIC DIMENSIONS on,
• used the OFFSET command after the initial RECTANGLE command,
• added some other DISTANCE BETWEEN dimensions at random, and
• made one copy into a GROUP and another copy into a BLOCK.

The shapes that are boxed in orange are my controls from which I made copies for testing. Those are shown above the controls. Both images are tagged, i.e., GROUP and BLOCK. I’ve attached the file from which I made the video.

In summary, mirroring a BLOCK in the MODEL environment does retain dimensions. Although not shown in the video, using the MIRROR command to edit in the BLOCK environment results in a shape similar to what happens to the GROUP in the MODEL environment. They lose most of their dimensions. And this is the issue I submitted for your review.

I’m responding both by direct email to you and posted it because I couldn’t figure how to add the attached file to the website reply.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Ron