Open Shapes

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I'm very new to Solid Edge, though I've played around with AutoCAD. 

I'm currently trying to plan a layout to be carved from wood using a CNC. My plan is drawn using Solid Edge, but when I open the .dxf in Toolpath, it tells me one shape is open and thus can't be carved. I've tried creating a block, connecting all existing lines, but nothing seems to work. As far as I can tell, the lines are all connected. 

I hope I'm making myself clear. I'll add the plan to this post for reference. Feel free to ask for clarifications

Has anyone else had this problem before?

3 REPLIES

Re: Open Shapes

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Can you post the original Solid Edge Draft File?

Regards,

Rick B.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Yeah. I'm pretty sure this is the original draft document. Once again, I'm not too familiar with SE.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I believe the problem is with the bottom right hand shape. The vertical line has two identical lines superimposed on top of eachother. Delete one of thoose lines and use trim corner at the ends of the remaining line to ensure connection with the adjacent lines. I check closure of shapes like this using Inspect - Total Length.  In this command set the combo box to Chain and then click on one of the objects in the shape. It will highlight the entire shape. In your case the duplicate lines canot be resolved to close the shape. Also, I notice that there are no constraints. Do you have Maintain relationships and Relationship Handles enabled? 

Regards,

Rick B.