Origin moving when two projects open ST3

N/A
I have found a problem that is bothering me in ST3, not sure if it did this with previous versions.

If I'm working on a drawing and need to refer to a previous drawing and open that previous drawing, the origin of the second drawing will move to the point where the first drawing has it located. If I reset the position on the second drawing it will change the position on the first drawing.

I often move the origin so that I can read measurements directly when I am drawing a shape and need it placed in an exact spot. Maybe this is a bad habit, but my origin is never at the lower left corner of the sheet and generally never in the same place on any given sheet. It does often migrate to the lower left corner of the objects (not sheet) so that I can refer to things when I'm cutting a part since the origin of my milling machine's readout is also the lower left corner of the object being cut.

Is there a way to prevent the origin from jumping around when I have multiple drawings open?
6 REPLIES

Re: Origin moving when two projects open ST3

N/A
The change to go with a common grid origin was made when we changed the
interface is ST1.
If it is desired to have a separate origin for each sheet, I can create an
enhancement request to do so.
In addition to this there are requests to bring back the keyins in the UI
associated with the grid.
I am looking at this for a future release.
Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Don mean to hijack this thread but I think I have a similar issue.

When I relocate the origin,why do the element start/end points still correspond to the default origin?

This happens even if I move the origin first before creating any elements.

I prefer to have the origin correspond to the lower left corner of the part, not the lower left corner of the sheet, as SE seems to prefer.

N/A
Keeping the origin set for each separate project would be nice. I hadn't noticed the end point issue above, I'll have to check that and see if it happens to me too. I generally move the origin to any point where I think I need to place it when machining a part. Could be the center of the material, could be the lower left corner or the part.

Right now I try to remember to draw a cross where I want the origin to be so that if it moves I know where to place it to return to my normal.

N/A
You are right, the properties always show the location coordinates as starting from the lower left of the sheet, not where the origin is set.

N/A
thanks for confirming. I guess that's something I'll have to deal with. It would just be easier to have the origin and one element's start/end location coincide.

N/A
All,
The Grid Origin is for drid display and snapping only.
When you move the grid origin, the lines/points and the snaps move
accordingly.
The geometry is always with respect to a global zero.
This zero is the bottom left corner of the sheet.
In 2D Model it is in the center of an endless sheet.
Regards,
Rick B.