Perpendicular Dimension Between Lines

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all,

I have some CAD experience, but not with Solid Edge. I'm using ST4 and can't for the life of me get the process for dimensioning the perpendicular distance between two lines (or a point and a line like SolidWorks describes it in their help document).

For example:  \      \ <- I want those two parallel lines to be 5" apart (neither set of endpoints is lined up vertically or horizontally, nor are the midpoints), but all the dimensioning tools I can find limit me to points, either mid or end. I can hold the Shift-key, but that is even less useful in this case, giving me the straightline distance between the two points...

From my experience with other packages, the default would have been give the perpendicular distance between the lines unless you specfically select the endpoints or midpoints.

I could use construction lines, but that seems like excessive work to just set the parallel distance between two lines (or between a point and a line).

Any help would be appreciated (especially if it's absurdly simple - when I can't find something at home it's typically because it was too obviously placed).

Thanks,

Ryan

3 REPLIES

Re: Perpendicular Dimension Between Lines

Shift will toggle to min distance between 2 points

You need to use a Dimension Axis...

http://screencast.com/t/4jTT6iXxdm

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

or when using the dimension between 2 points You have to select a line first and then a point afterwards.

This will produce a parallel/perpendicular dim to that line.

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks both of you guys for your help. It is definitely simple. Both solutions work for what I was looking for.

Smart dimension is nice for most things.

Thanks again.