Print area landscape/portrait

I am trying to use Print Area to print my drawing. When I make my area selection, it looks like it should fit nicely in landscape mode, but the preview puts it in portrait and I can't seem to change it. The only way I can seem to print portrait is to print the entire page instead of just my selection. I have attached a screenshot of Print Area window after making my selection. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. I've just upgraded to a new computer, Windows 7 to Windows 10, and switched from Solid Edge 8 to Solid Edge 9.

9 REPLIES

Re: Print area landscape/portrait

Hi there @ace2049ns,

After choosing "Print area", have you then gone to the "Properties" of your printer to ensure the orientation is set there?......below is how I make the settings for our office printer.

2017-05-10.png

2017-05-10 (1).png

2017-05-10 (2).png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

When in Paper Print screen, before selecting Print Area, select Printer -> Properties...

In the Layout tab change your orientation from Portrait to Landscape

Select OK

Select Print Area

Select the area of the draft to print

The orientation should now be as desired

[ Edited ]

Yes, Landscape is selected in my printer properties.  I usually print to PDF and print a paper copy and the issue occurs for both. For PDF, I'm using "Microsoft Print to PDF" and our printer is a Ricoh. Both have Landscape selected in the Properties window, but it still won't actually be in landscape mode after my Print Area Selection.

I uset the Microsoft Print to PDF printer and set to landscape and it worked correctly for me in ST9 on Win 10.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

[ Edited ]

@ace2049ns,

Works fine in both orientations here......make sure that your choose your "Print area" action ahead of the printer "Properties", to engage it correctly......also, I only use the PDF [from the Save As Translated function] inside Solid Edge, for my drafts, and have a button added to my Quick Access Toolbar [QAT] to get directly to it.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

I am unable to change printer properties once I select Print Area. It does not look like your screenshots, but the one I attached to this reply.

@ace2049ns,

Ok......I don't normally use that new interface, favouring the "Ctrl + P" keyboard shortcut, but I made a short video of what I get when using that method....seems to work fine still though.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

Wow! Using the Ctrl-P shortcut brings up the old print dialog. When I use that method, landscape and portrait work correctly. It still doesn't work correctly in the method I was using though. That's odd. But I'm going to use Ctrl-P from now on anyway. Thank you!

Very welcome.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10