Problem handling negative values in coordinate dimensioning

[ Edited ]
I've noticed an issue with coordinate dimensioning, where the origin lies between measurement points: i. e., dimensions are both positive and negative values. For example, if by necessity I am dimensioning two holes on opposite sides of a reference feature by the same absolute distance, the dimensions will both show as positive numbers, indicating to the reader that the holes are in the same place (on that axis, at least), in contradiction to the depiction on the drawing. Worse yet, if the displacement is small, the error will not be obvious, resulting in a mis-made part. This feels like a serious bug to me.

As we learned in analytical geometry, an X-Y coordinate system allows for both positive and negative values WRT the origin. With ST4's coordinate dimensioning, this convention is violated, which can result in errors in part fabrication, as illustrated in the attached file. I've combed through various preference and property dialogs for a solution to this problem, but to no avail. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious. Comments invited.
1 REPLY

Re: Problem handling negative values in coordinate dimensioning

This is true.
Coordinate dimensions are absolute distances from the origin.
You may however use dimension prefix and input a '-' for the dimensions to the left side or below the origin.