Producing DXF file in Solid Edge 2D drafting

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi, I used Solid Edge back a couple of years ago, and I found the 2D drafting is free today. So I want to try to use it to draw the pattern I need for the current job.

What I need is just patterned copper layers on PCB. After the patterns are done in Solid Edge and export into DXF, I will import it into HFSS to create the two PCB copper layers. I've tried Eagle CAD (a PCB tool) this morning. But the DXF file from it made my HFSS crash several times.

Now I get to try using Solid Edge 2D drafting. I am dowloading the software now. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

1 REPLY

Re: Producing DXF file in Solid Edge 2D drafting

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

I have deployed the Free2D to our shop floor a few times now, and all the team like it....and have it at their homes now too. Bit of a double edged sword, as usually that results in them sending me their data for laser cutting, or 3D modelling to be laser cut & pressed.

Not sure what could've caused the issue you mension...maybe try, just as you're saving the file out to DXF, click the "Options" [next to Save] button, and remove things like the background sheet, etc....things that will not relate to the geometry itself, that you want to export.

ST7_Draft_SaveAsTranslated_DXF_Options.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10