Question on drawing a land crossection profile

N/A
I would like to draw a land cross section profile like would be used for an underground drain line. Normally this is drawn on grid paper with a depth scale on one side and a distance scale on the bottom (for this small home project both scales could be the same.) When measuring elevations on the ground you start with a known or assumed elevation most of the time 100.00 ft and then subtract the "rod reading" from 100.00 feet. Is there a way to start with 100 feet reference point then create the surface profile line? attached is a example drawing I made using the grid feature in SE

Thanks
Dan
3 REPLIES

Re: Question on drawing a land crossection profile

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Dan,
There is no good way to work in two separate scales for X and Y. If a single scale for X and Y can be used. You can draw your geometry in 2D Model at 1:1 scale then place a 2D Model view on the working sheet at the desired scale. You can then position the 2D Model view relative to a keypoint in the 2D Model view and the grid with the Move command.

The first question is do you have to use different scales for X and Y?

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply!

The small home based project should not require the use of different scales for X and Y. The horizontal distance should not be over 100 feet and the vertical should not be over 10 feet.

I am working on a cross section along my brother's pole building to document the elevation of the ground, the floor and a ditch bed to see if he can install a drain tile (outside) below the floor level and still be above the bottom of the ditch that runs along side of his building.

Attached is a CAD file for a bicycle trail cross section that was given to me for a project that I flagged for the railroad I work for. (By the project inspector) It only uses one scale 1 inch = 5 feet.

Also Rick in a former post (not this thread) you had talked about a file explaining working with scale I think it also covered printing to scale. Is it still available?

Thanks
Dan

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Dan,
As I mentioned in my previous email. All you need to do is to create the geometry at 1:1 scale in 2D Model. Then place a 2D Model view on the working sheet at the needed scale. This will put the geometry on the working sheet at some scale. This does not help with the issue of starting coordinate dimensions at a value other than zero.

Regards,
Rick B.