cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revolved view of Cylindrical component around Central Axis in Draft

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Guys

I'm looking to place a view on a draft which shows an unwrapped image of a cyclindrical component as seen from the central axis. The final view will show the internals of the cylinder flattened out, with the x-axis showing the fulll 360° end to end (a bit like a world map).

Another way of describing this would be to put a camera on the central axis, facing outwards (perpendicular to the axis), and then rotating it 360°, and using this to create a 2D image.

Does anybody have any idea how to do this please? I have searched for the functionality but haven't found anything close. 

Currently we do these manually in 2D, but I'd like to see if we can drive them through 3D.

Many thanks.

9 REPLIES

Re: Revolved view of Cylindrical component around Central Axis in Draft

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @P-Low

The sheetmetal flatten command might be the one you need.

If possible post a picture of the wrapped and unwrapped images to be sure what you are exctly looking for.

~Tushar Suradkar

fb.pngSolid Edge Users Facebook Group

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi Tushar
Thanks for the reply. I'll try this and report back..

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Tushar

I've finally gotten round to investigating this. It looks like the flatten command doesn't work very well for components which are not sheet metal. I am struggling to get it working for the application I want.

Any other ideas?

I've attached an image to show you the kind of thing I'm going for (it's a flatten of the cyclinder with a window in it, shown in Isometric).

Thanks

Experimenter
Experimenter

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

In order to do this, your cylinder must have a small slit down a side to provide a break in the cylindrical surface.  Then in Tools, select the Flatten state, then the Blank Body, pick your cylindrical surface and it will flatten.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

I had a fairly similar idea but doubted if it will roll out into a full 360 flat length.

I have seen the Blank command unbending a similar pipe with cuts but don't know exactly how to do this.

@SeanCresswell @Imics

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Here is a solution. I used sheet metal flat patterning. @Grundey has mantioned you need a small gap...

Blank works well, If you remove inside cutout (option)...

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @P-Low,

I do this sort of thing regularly, and create them purely in the sheetmetal environment, using a contour flange, using a small circle, set as construction, to control the trimmed gap within that circle.

I like to draw the "trim circle" larger initially, then after setting appropriate constriants, resize it to as small as the wall thickness will allow.

Although, we rotary laser cut most things like this, there are times a paper template is required on the shop floor, so I set the neutral factor to "1" to be representative of the selected [normally the outside] face, when using flat pattern.

ST9_PSM_Pipe_ContourFlange_Profile.png

CCS-007_TA-SL_Balustrade_Rail Spigot.jpg

I might also suggest, that this post is more suited to the Solid Edge Forum, as it far exceeds this one, dedicated to 2D drafting.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi All (@Tushar, @grundey, @Imics, @SeanCresswell)

Many Thanks again for all your help. I have to apologise, I think in simplifying the problem I have missed out some information which is important to the solution:

The component is cylindrical, but it is a complicated machined component, with steps, cuts and most importantly a CAM track cut internally. The flattened drawing view is used to show details of the CAM track to manufacturer (please see image attached).

I have had a bit of a play using the blank body command, but I think the geometry is proving too complicated for it to work. With regards to sheet metal, I don't think I can build the geometry required in the sheet metal environment and even if I could, I am not sure this would be appropriate for the part.

Apologies again if I have led you down the wrong path. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks