ST^ which versions of windows?

I have used 2D ST3 for some time but when the license expired I uninstalled it and downlowed ST6 but when I try to install it it says it will not run on my verion of windows (Vista) and to see the readme. However, as it has not installed, I don't know where to look for the readme. Will ST6 install on Windows Vista 32 bit or do I need to reinstall ST3 (I still have a copy of the install file), and request an updated license file?

When I used the link to the community in the latest email I only see one page of topics: are there others, and how do I get to them

Thank you 

5 REPLIES

Re: ST^ which versions of windows?

[ Edited ]

Hi Mark,

This is from the Read Me file....

Solid Edge ST6 System Requirements and Information

Operating System Requirements and Information

This release of Solid Edge has been certified to run on the following:

• Windows 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, or Professional (32-bit or 64-bit) with Service Pack 1
  • Windows 8 Pro or Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit)
    • Windows 8 (home) and Windows 8 RT are not supported
  • Internet Explorer10  (IE 8 meets minimum requirements)

Solid Edge stops certifying new releases against an operating system shortly after Microsoft drops mainstream support for it. Microsoft dropped mainstream support for XP in April 2009. Microsoft dropped mainstream support for Vista in April 2012. Solid Edge ST6 will not install on Windows Vista or Windows XP.

My suggestion, upgrade your operation system, before you are exposed to a virus attack, when it too is dropped by Microsoft.

Also....this is the group link you should use. Add it as a new shortcut to your desktop, or favourite in your browser.

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-2D-Drafting/bd-p/SolidEdge-2D-Drafting

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thanks Sean. I agree that, soon, I should upgrade my machine to a more recent opsys... probably time to buy a newer machine as upgrading would cost about a quarter of the cost of a new machine with the opys installed (Grrr). Any idea how long Siemens will be issuing license files for ST3 so I have time to migrate gently?

I now have a more immediate problem. I need to get to some of my drawings but I uninstalled ST3 before trying to install ST6. I still have the ST3 installable but when I try to reinstall ST3 the wizard ends early saying it was interupted, just after asking for my organisation name. I think I had this problem when I first installed ST3 but cannot remember the fix. If I click on the link http://bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/vbulletin/ provided when I down loaded last year's license file I can see I asked a question on installing ST3 back in 2011:

Problem installing ST3 on Vista

Started by mark.dyche@homecall.co.uk, March 25th, 2011 10:24 PM
 but if I clcik on this I get directed to the community forum.

Mark_D

I know you are just looking for a quick fix to your current issue, but I would suggest upgrading to Windows7 ASAP. It is like $129 or something from Vista. I don't recall. This is not "Solid Edge advice"  -- just personal advice. My son's laptop was on Vista and a total dog. I upgraded it to Windows 7 and it ran like a new computer. You will save more time/frustration by getting off Vista ASAP than you can possibly imagine. 

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Where can I get a copy of ST5 and will it install on Vista? I use it at work and am trying to use the same versions at both computers. I tried going to ST6 but it wont install on Vista.

The ST5 downloads are still available. We only provide the links to the most recent version of the software, which is ST6. When you are on the download web page, instead of clicking on your language of choice, Right Mouse Click on the language of choice and click on 'Copy Shortcut' in the command list. This copies the path to the download. Paste this into the field at the top of the browser without pressing Enter. You will see ST6 in the string in the field. Change the 6 to a 5 and press Enter. The download for ST5 will start. While you are on the download page, also download the updated license. The license included with the ST5 download will already be out of date.

Regards,

Rick B.