ST4 Printing scale problem

N/A
Hi there.

I am experiencing problems with printing to scale 1:1 in ST4.

Here's my flow :
1- Start SE
2- Create 2D Drawing
- by default Sheet 1 is an A2 Wide with A2 Wide Background.
- Sheet scale is 1:1 / 1.0
3- Print from the main menu.
- Choosing a PDF printer (no scaling in its properties)
- click Options -> Manual Scale is selected with PaperLength=0,3912 and DesignLength=1
- I just cannot edit the PaperLength here : if I edit it, it automatically resets to 0,3912
- This way there is no way to print at scale 1:1, even though the only thing to be printed is the background which should fit well Smiley Happy

- if in the Options dialog I choose "fit to printer margins" then the preview seems ok, but the print is actually slightly reduced in size.

- the same happens if I only draw a 10cm line even without a background... The print is shorter.

In alternative to step 3, I tried step 4 :

4- Print Drawing from main menu
- Choosing a PDF printer (no scaling in its properties)
- select Sheet1 in the drawing list,
- click Options : here Manual Scale is selected by default with scale 1, which is promising. It is actually not editable : always resets to 1
- Press ok, then preview : a warning dialog appears : "The following document contains one or more sheets that are too large for the current print size"
Which is not true, as there is nothing drawn!!! (or something way smaller then the page)
None of the three check boxes shown allows me to get a 1:1 printing....

Please help!

What changed in ST4 with printing scale?

Btw the same kind of problem happens on another computer with a real printer...

I hope I just misunderstood something and that it's not a bug : ST4 would be virtually useless for my use until next version... unless there is an update...

Cheers,

Cedric.
15 REPLIES

Re: ST4 Printing scale problem

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Printing area is the entire sheet area, not just the graphics (including any border). Usually selecting a print area inside the sheet area will allow for 1:1 if sheet area and printer paper size are the same.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Cedric,
In your PDF Printer Driver properties set the paper size that you are trying to print to. Do this outside of Solid Edge. Find the printer and change the default sheet size. Then test this again. You should be able to override the printer sheet size in the Print dialog in Solid Edge. But it looks like print is obtaining the default print paper size and not allowing it to be overridden.

You can also use Print Drawings instead of Print. The dialog here seems to allow the sheet size override correctly.

Let me know if this works for you.
Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Thanks Grundey and Rick for your answer.
It actually worked on this computer (the one with a real printer). The problem was actually the printer paper size not being overridden as you suggested.
I will try the same on the other one with the pdf printer later tonight, and let you know...
Thanks all.

N/A
Hi all again.
Unfortunately it's been impossible for me to print to scale 1:1 on my pdf printer at home. I checked the paper size in the printer setting and in SE. Everything seemed to match.
But the scale is always about a third of the expected scale... The manual scale in the Options dialog in SE is always showing 0.3... : 1, and I still cannot edit it (unless i set it smaller).
I tried with the same pdf printer on the other computer (the one that succeeded yesterday with a real printer) and the print is ok...
Same document, same SE version, same PDF printer, different results.
The one that fails runs Windows xp while the one that succeeds runs Windows 7...
If anyone has a clue to workaround this problem, please let me know...
Thanks,
Cedric

Community Manager
Cedric,
Can you change the options on the PDF printer driver on the machine that does not work? If you go to control panel can you see this printer driver?

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Hi Rick.

Yes I can access Bullzip printer's control panel, set it to say A4 just as my SE sheet, no scaling etc...
But even if I set the printer to A2 (to be sure my SE A4 fits in), the manual scale in SE print dialog still cannot exceed 0.3... / 1.

Quite odd...

Community Manager
Cedric,
I am trying to understand what you are seeing. I have attached an example of the Options in the Print dialog. In my case I am using the Solid Edge Velocity PS Printer 2.0. This is the printer driver that is used by Solid Edge when you Save as PDF. 2D Drafting does not have this. I have set the default paper size for the printer driver to A2, which is a large sheet size. I have set the working sheet size to A4 which is a smaller sheet size. In the print dialog I make sure I select the proper printer before I go to Preview or Options. This is important because there is a bug that reads the print paper size from the selected printer when you go to Preview or Options and will not reset it if you change the printer in the dialog afterward. Notice in my image that that the plot (paper) size A2 is large as specified in the printer and the print sheet size A4 is small as specified by the working sheet. In the Print dialog I have All Sheets selected, not Print Area. In the Options dialog you can see that I have Manual scale and the scale values are 1.0 and 1.0. It is 1:1 scale because I am printing a small sheet size to a larger paper size.

Can you give to me similar information as to what you are seeing?
Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Hi Rick.

Thanks for your detailed test.
I will perform this as soon as possible at home where I have this problem (might not be before tomorrow evening).
I'll send you some screen capture.
Maybe the bug you're referring to is the cause for my confusion.

Regards,
Cedric.

N/A
Hi Ricky.
Please find attached a few files showing the settings of the Bullzip PDF printer, the options dialog, and the preview, as well the final pdf created.

The sheet is an empty A4 (no geometry drawn) with A4 background.
The end pdf is an A4 with a wrongly scaled drawing.
The manual scale in the Options dialog is not editable (unless you decrease it).

It is clear there is a problem, though who knows why/where/when?

Cheers, Cedric