ST5 FILE STRANGE BEHAVIOR FOLLOWUP

Ricky, please reference all of our exchanges up to the one of Jan 3 for this thread. After that date, someone piggy backed on the thread and changed the subject.

I have more problems with this file. It hasn t exhibited the initial complaint that started this thread but now has a new one.

When editing dimensions to depend on other dimensions, frequently nothing happens. The formula reference may show the correct entries but nothing happens to the targeted dimension. I m attaching this file again and have indicated two sets (4 total) of dimensions shown with a rectangle around the dimension number.

Please see if you can help straighten out this file.

I tried to attach a file but the methology baffled me. Help.

Thanks,
Ron
2 REPLIES

Re: ST5 FILE STRANGE BEHAVIOR FOLLOWUP

Ricky, I'm sending the subject file by email to: Ricky Black (ricky.black@siemens.com).
Ron
Updated 4/4/13 for continuity:
Ricky, I put a box around the dimensions that I wanted you to manipulate so you could find them easily and see what I m seeing by adding or subtracting a 1/16 or so. Yes the box is BASIC unlike the INSPECTION ovals I have around some dimensions.
By your last sentence, can I assume that I m pushing the software to its limits? And could that likely be the problem? I do have many files that are as large but none that are as heavily automated . This was an experiment for training and for my use. The file did function beautifully (except for that ghost that I initially complained about); that is, until this week when I tried to make a few minor changes and lost some of the relationships. After finally getting the relationships where I wanted them, I discovered the subject problem.
What I need is a playbook of the most efficient use of relationships and driving dimensions. Many, if not most actions, can be accomplished by both. I may have inadvertently double dipped on some and/or was inconsistent in others. How do I tell when the I ve pushed it -when it bogs down maybe?
Please advise.
Thanks,
Ron
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 1:54 PM
To: Ronald Latour
Subject: RE: ST5 FILE STRANGE BEHAVIOR FOLLOWUP
Ron, I m sorry, but you are going to have to be more specific.
When you say rectangle around the dimension, are you talking about the Basic dimension box that can be applied to the dimension? There is a lot going on in this file.
Regards,
Ricky Black
Solid Edge Product Manager - Draft / PMI
Solid Edge. Design better.
Siemens PLM Software
Tel: (256) 705-2631
Fax: (256) 705-2695
ricky.black@siemens.com
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 1:25 PM
To: Black, Ricky
Subject: ST5 FILE STRANGE BEHAVIOR FOLLOWUP
Ricky, I decided to try and send the subject file to you via email. Hopefully you will receive it and be able to help.
Another issue is why is it so slow? Is it the file or my computer? If it s the computer, what should I look at to fix?
Thanks,
Ron

Re: ST5 FILE STRANGE BEHAVIOR FOLLOWUP

Ricky, you hadnt responded yet to my 4/1 email re the thread: ST5 FILE STRANGE BEHAVIOR FOLLOWUP. So I started playing around on my own and discovered that this file is not the only file with subject problems. Any file, even a new blank file, when one dimension is edited to be driven by another dimension, nothing happens. Plus the dimension editing box doesnt close after clicking on the check icon which I think its supposed to do. I can only get it to close by choosing SELECT command.
However, if I use the = relationship to set the elements equal to each other, that works. I tried closing down SE and reopening and using a different mouse, but that didnt fix it. Something must have happened around the same time as I was editing the LATOURS STRANGE FILE.dft that affects all SE.
Heres a website to see a screen capture video of
I see: http://screencast.com/t/hs4UkNM4y
I will send you the file (LATOUR - DRIVING DIM PROBLEMS.dft) that I used to create the screen capture via email as before.
Im tempted to try and reset SE back to the default status using the Registry Editor which you told me how to do years ago with an earlier version but I will wait until you respond.
HELP!!!!!
Thanks,
Ron