ST9 Solid Edge Draft file size

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am currently working on a project where the master assembly has over 30 thousand parts.

I come from an inventor and solidworks background, about 10 years, now im using solid edge for like 6 months. Its very different from everything else i know.

Any time my drawing and assembly files were getting huge and slowing down the pc, I used a series of tricks between configurations, suppressing parts, and so on to reduce ram usage.

My problem consists of two parts: Assemblies and drawings (or drafts!).

Part 1: Assemblies

Back in the day when i used to work with inventor, my assemblies would get huge and slow down my pc. So I learned to use level of detail configurations (or LOD) to suppress parts and keep them out of view. This meant that parts were never loaded into memory when opening large assemblies, and when switching between different LOD's suppressed parts would be unloaded from memory. Thus the large assembly files would become much lighter and easier to use.

According to my googling around, the Solid Edge equivalent is a combination of things. Solid Edge configurations seem to hide parts but not unload them from memory. Also, it seems any hidden parts should be made inactive, because by doing this a huge assembly opens and saves much faster. Then there is something called "unload hidden parts" and something else called "assembly zone". All of these commands combined seem to produce the results I described above with inventor.

I dont know how all this stuff works in solid edge so any advice or knowledge you can share would help me big time.

Last thing about assemblies. Whenever I was loading assemblies into a drawing back when i used to work with inventor, i noticed that the drawing would become much lighter (about 90% smaller file size) if instead of inserting the assembly directly into the drawing, i instead inserted the assembly into a presentation file (inventor's way of creating exploded views) and then inserting that file into the drawing. So my question here is, whats the solid edge equivalent way to produce that result (however weird and different it may be) such that i can reduce memory usage from the draft file.

Part 2: Draft

As you can see ive already started the draft part of this problem at the end of part 1 above. Basically when loading an assembly file into a draft, the draft file seems to load everything that this master assembly has within it. This is bad because some views dont need all that information and therefore the drawing file size becomes to heavy. So my question here is, how do i load only what i need in each view ?

Also, it seems solid egde drafts have a draft quality vs high quality option. I just created a draft quality but I had to pick that option at the moment of creating the view. Also i noticed i cant place dimensions on that view. So my questions here are: whats the difference between the two ? what do these option do as far as ram usage ? can i switch an existing view from one quality to the other ? and how can i place dimensions on draft quality views ?

Last note about drafts, my drafts are always 125 mb at the very least but usually go way up to like 600+ mb. Any recomendations ?

Thank you for reading and responding.