Save differant drawings in DWG from 2D Model

Hi All

I have designed a simple assembly on a "2D Model Geometry" thinking it would be the best way but now I am not sure.... I did the folowing methode:

I made several layers, each one for a different part. That allows me to see the all assembly or just some parts in hiding/showing layers, each part are in a different color. That also made the design of the assembly easier than to produce each time a new draft because I can see the matching between the different parts.

But now I would like to produce a drawing for each part of them, in DWG. The trouble is I cannot create a working sheet draft for each layers of the 2D Model... I have no option that show the current picture of the 2D Model...

However, that would be ok if I would be able to export my current view that in DWG, to create drawing 1 by 1 (in alternatively hidding/showing each layers|), but the DWG file show every layers all the time for the 2D Model, and show an awfull mix of different layers from the working sheet...

So what would be the best way to produce DWG drawing for each of my layers in my 2D Model ?

I apologized by advanced if the message is hard to anderstand.. i am ready to explaine again !

Thank you
7 REPLIES

Re: Save differant drawings in DWG from 2D Model

Actually it may be because I haven't fully understand how to use the layers in the working sheets !

The DWG file is exactly the same that the working sheet after right clicking "show everywhere" on each layers.

But I havent understood how to use properly "layers" and "drawing views" in the working sheets and I still dont know how to generate a DWG file with only my current view (meanig with some layers or drawing views hidden) !!

After some test I start to have the feeling that we cannot export a draft from a "2D Model" sheet in DWG without showing all the layers...

After some test I start to have the feeling that we cannot export a draft from a "2D Model" sheet in DWG without showing all the layers...
If you're trying to separate "components" of your assembly by layer, then I think I am understanding you.....

Try this:

Start a new file.

In 2D Model, select the Layers tab and you should see 3 default layers under 2D Model and Layers in the tree: Default, 0 and Auto-Hide.

Right-click on Layers and create 3 new layers. Individually, name them 1, 2 and 3.

Layer 3 or the last layer created will become your Active layer, so double click on 1 to make it active.

With layer 1 active, draw a red circle....any size.

With layer 2 active (double click on layer 2), draw a green circle of any size and clear of the red circle.

With layer 3 active (double click on layer 3), draw a blue circle of any size and clear of the red and green circles.

Click on the Sheet1 tab and create a view of your 2D model with all 3 circles showing. Repeat this 2 more times for a total of 3 views on Sheet1.

Click on the Layers tab and you should see 2 different trees: one for the drawing sheet and one for each view on the sheet called Draft.

Expand the top Draft (view) and you should see layers 1, 2 and 3. Right click on 2 and pick Hide. Do the same for layer 3. Now you should only see the geometry on layer 1 from the 2D model in the first view.

Expand the middle Draft (view) and you should again see layers 1, 2 and 3. Right click on 1 and pick Hide. Do the same for layer 3. Now you should only see the geometry on layer 2 from the 2D model in the second view.

Expand the bottome Draft (view) and you should again see layers 1, 2 and 3. Right click on 1 and pick Hide. Do the same for layer 2. Now you should only see the geometry on layer 3 from the 2D Model in the third view.

Does this make sense now? Each circle represents a single "part" that is on a unique layer. That should be all you need to do on your Sheet. Each time you want to show a new component, place a new view and make a different layer visible.
Tim Flater
Enkei America, Inc.

That makes perfectly sense! Thank you for this answer!

Now, because I am a little fussy, I try to export on a DWG file with only the current display on it without the access of the other view/layers.

For instance, following your exampl, I want to send a DWG file with the first red cercle to one person but i don't want him to be able to see the other circles (the red and the blue). Have you ever try that?

The idea of course is to design an assambly but send the drawing of only one components. The problem, currently is that on each trials I have done so far all the "drawing views" were accessible (sometimes hide but still accessible if right click and "show")...

I typically do not design with the intent to export. Exporting geometry is sometimes a hit or miss situation and in this case, it's probably going to be a miss. However, if all the geometry is exporting and importing to the target software successfully, be thankful for that.

Layers being turned on after an import is usually the target software's "fault", not the exporting software. Besides, you should be able to manipulate the layers in the target software the same as you did in SE.
Tim Flater
Enkei America, Inc.

Ok!
In this case I guess the best way if I want to send only the drawing of one component and keep the others secret is to use a picture format or a pdf printer.

Anyway I can't complain, this software has already done a lot.

The more important for me was about the sheets and layers and your message explained how it works perfeclty well!

Thank you for your time.

Romain.

What do you mean by 'clear of the red circle'