Saving As DWG Question

N/A
I need to save a Solid Edge 2D drawing as a DWG file so someone can view it to review and comment on. When I do that the paper space drawings have a border around the drawing views that were placed on that sheet (see attached image). Is there any way to get rid of those borders?

Thanks,
Ed
7 REPLIES

Re: Saving As DWG Question

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer
When you comvert the .dft file to .dwg it will be as block i.e all view will be as block. Now you can unblock the same by right & say unblock. Try this
Thanks & Regards
Naresh J
MEKSOL India
Naresh J
MEKSOL India Engineering Solutions P Ltd
Bengaluru, Karnataka - India
Mob +919900600913
email - naresh@meksolindia.com

N/A
Thank you Naresh. That worked.

Now, is there a way to save as a DWG file without creating those blocks? I couldn't see anything in the Options that allowed any control over this. Otherwise I have to create the DWG file and then open it and unblock the blocks. That's fine when it's just a couple of sheets but when there are lots of sheets then it takes a lot of time to go through them all and unblock the blocks to get rid of that border.

Ed

N/A
Well, it worked for the first file I tried but now I can't get it to work. When I right click on the drawing views I no longer get an option to Unblock. Very frustrating.

Ed

N/A
I finally figured it out. In the options for saving as a DWG I had to deselect "Export to paper space" and then on the next option page deselect "Translate drawing view as blocks". I don't really understand these options but that sequence seems to work for me to get rid of the borders around the drawing views.

Ed

N/A
When translating a file to a DWG format is there any way to convert just the drawing views and not the model space? I don't want to send the model view to the customer.

Ed

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Ed,
I am not sure I completely understand what you want.
AutoCAD has Layouts which are the same as 2D Drafting sheets.
The border you see on the Layouts in AutoCAD are Viewports which are the same as the 2D Model Views in 2D Drafting.
The viewports are windows into the AutoCAD 2D Model space.

Do you want AutoCAD Layouts created for each 2D Drafting Sheet?
Try this.
Uncheck 'Export to paper space'.
On the next options page click 'All sheets to same file'.
Uncheck 'Translate drawing views as blocks.
Save the options file.

When you export to Autocad, you will have Layouts created for the Sheets.
These Layouts will have geometry on the Layout that is the scaled geometry from the 2D Model views.
There will not be any reference back to the geometry in 2D Model or AutoCAD Model space.
There is no way to not translate what is in 2D Model.

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Rick,

Thanks for the information. What you suggested is what I ended up doing after a few trial and errors. The reason I only wanted the drawing views and not the model space is because I thought it would be too confusing for the person that will be viewing the drawings. He will be using AutoCAD's free viewer to view the drawings and he is not a CAD person so I was just trying to make it as easy as possible for him. I suggested he download the free Solid Edge viewer and use that instead. The drawings are much nicer when viewed in the native Solid Edge file format.

Ed