Reply

Siemens Long Term Policy Towards SE_Free2D

Hello Ricky,
Perhaps you are the best person to answer this. Lately, I have been
receiving calls from Siemens appointed customer-relations management firms
about how SE_Free2D is serving us and if we are planning to move to 3D soon
and so forth. This leads me to reflect on why Siemens is continuing with
what UGS had done, i.e. offering the Solid Edge 2D component for free to the
industry. In my previous company, I had used SE_Free2D to supplement Full SE
seats. In my present company, I have been encouraging the use of SE_Free2D
because I found it to be more powerful and efficient compared to the likes
of AutoCAD LT. However, this recent barrage of follow-ups from Siemens
customer-relations firms made me wonder if Siemens is committed to
maintaining SE_Free2D for the long term. I think users of Free_2D have a
right to know, especially those that do not own Full SE versions, if they
can continue to count on this software for company wide implementation.
Imagine a situation where such a company have all their 2D designs in dft
files and one day, Siemens decides to pull the plug on SE-Free2D simply
because it finds that this strategy is not paying off. What a limbo that
will be for these users.
Regards,
TH Lim

9 REPLIES

Re: Siemens Long Term Policy Towards SE_Free2D

Consider that they really want to sell the full version, so expect them to call and call often to see if they can make some money. If they decide they can not keep it free, then maybe they would consider a structured pricing plan so that people like me that use it for hobbies (personal use) at home can afford to continue using it (so priced cheap) and businesses using it can save money over other comparable products like Autocad which I consider pretty expensive and do not use because of that price.

And honestly, anyone using this in a company to make money really should be paying for it.

Re: Siemens Long Term Policy Towards SE_Free2D

As the other response noted, Free 2D is an introduction to the Solid Edge product line with the goal being converting some percentage to full-paying 3D users. But a couple points in your situation:

1. The software you have downloaded is your's to keep. The yearly license is our way of making sure you don't keep running an old version -- we want everyone on the latest and greatest.
2. We have no plans to discontinue this program. However, if we were to discontinue it (again, no plans) we will post permanent licenses to all existing users. Again, the yearly is just to keep you up to date, not to prevent long term usage.
3. I would however recommend that if you are using the software for production purposes you consider buying a maintenance contract for it. This is normally done in cases where at least one seat of 3D Solid Edge is owned, but I am sure if you are using several seats of Free2D in production, you could get your local rep to put you on an maintenance contract (at a yearly fee). The benefits would be:
a. You will get upgrades automatically, without having to download them.
b. You will have access to the API to program against.
c. You can tie it in with a PDM system like Insight.

PS> For other users reading this thread -- are other folks out there interested in buying maintenance (without a 3D Solid Edge in the mix) if we had a way to do that? (assume that its not terribly expensive).

Best regards,
Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Re: Siemens Long Term Policy Towards SE_Free2D

3. I would however recommend that if you are using the software for production purposes you consider buying a maintenance contract for it. This is normally done in cases where at least one seat of 3D Solid Edge is owned, but I am sure if you are using several seats of Free2D in production, you could get your local rep to put you on an maintenance contract (at a yearly fee). The benefits would be:
a. You will get upgrades automatically, without having to download them.
b. You will have access to the API to program against.
c. You can tie it in with a PDM system like Insight.

And, of course, you will gain access to the world class Global Technical Access Center customer support :-). In addition, when you purchase maintenance, your BBS access opens up to the very popular Solid Edge forums :-).

Re: Siemens Long Term Policy Towards SE_Free2D

Give me a decent real user manual in PDF and a little more time to decide if I really like it, and maybe a printed copy of the manual and I'd be wiling to part with $50 to $75 USD for the 2D version (for personal use). Email support or this forum with real company people to answer questions would be fine since nothing I would be doing would ever "demand" immediate attention like phone support requires.

All that said free is nice, but I would still like a good book and maybe you could make some money selling that book to help subsidize the free software.

Re: Siemens Long Term Policy Towards SE_Free2D

Dear endlerg,
About that part where you say, "anyone using this in a company to make money
really should be paying for it." Yes, that is quite true but Open Office is
also free and it is every bit as good as MS Office. Perhaps, one day we will
have a 3D CAD package that is open source and that is community driven. I
think there is one serious effort being developed at the moment. If you are
a student, I see you are using an education address, you might like to try
that one out. Of better still, contribute in its development (time wise).
Cheers,
Lim

"endlerg@sunyocc.edu"
wrote in message news:endlergsunyocc.edu.4fy6jn@noreply.bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> Consider that they really want to sell the full version, so expect them
> to call and call often to see if they can make some money. If they
> decide they can not keep it free, then maybe they would consider a
> structured pricing plan so that people like me that use it for hobbies
> (personal use) at home can afford to continue using it (so priced cheap)
> and businesses using it can save money over other comparable products
> like Autocad which I consider pretty expensive and do not use because of
> that price.
>
> And honestly, anyone using this in a company to make money really
> should be paying for it.
>
>
> --
> endlerg@sunyocc.edu
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> endlerg@sunyocc.edu's Profile:
> http://bbsnotes.ugs.com/vbulletin/member.php?userid=259409
> View this thread: http://bbsnotes.ugs.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43112
>

Re: Siemens Long Term Policy Towards SE_Free2D

Hi Dan,
This is indeed good news, the part about getting permanent license if
Siemens elects to discontinue the program. Yes, we would most likely check
with the local agent for a maintenance contract if it is not too expensive.
It would have to be cheaper than AutoCAD LT of course but there is another
3D Parametric option in the market that is going for a tenth of the full SE
package. That makes it even cheaper than AutoCAD LT which is not 3D. So,
your proposed maintenance fee for SE2D would have to be lower than that too.
Best regards,
TH Lim

"staples" wrote in message
news:staples.4fy7gz@noreply.bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> As the other response noted, Free 2D is an introduction to the Solid
> Edge product line with the goal being converting some percentage to
> full-paying 3D users. But a couple points in your situation:
>
> 1. The software you have downloaded is your's to keep. The yearly
> license is our way of making sure you don't keep running an old version
> -- we want everyone on the latest and greatest.
> 2. We have no plans to discontinue this program. However, if we were to
> discontinue it (again, no plans) we will post permanent licenses to all
> existing users. Again, the yearly is just to keep you up to date, not to
> prevent long term usage.
> 3. I would however recommend that if you are using the software for
> production purposes you consider buying a maintenance contract for it.
> This is normally done in cases where at least one seat of 3D Solid Edge
> is owned, but I am sure if you are using several seats of Free2D in
> production, you could get your local rep to put you on an maintenance
> contract (at a yearly fee). The benefits would be:
> a. You will get upgrades automatically, without having to download
> them.
> b. You will have access to the API to program against.
> c. You can tie it in with a PDM system like Insight.
>
> PS> For other users reading this thread -- are other folks out there
> interested in buying maintenance (without a 3D Solid Edge in the mix) if
> we had a way to do that? (assume that its not terribly expensive).
>
> Best regards,
> Dan Staples
> Director, Solid Edge Product Development
>
>
> --
> staples
>
> DAN STAPLES
> Director, Solid Edge Product Development
>
> Siemens PLM Software
> Tel. : (256) 705-2525
> Fax : (256) 705-2690
> dan.staples@siemens.com
> www.siemens.com/plm
> www.solidedge.com
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> staples's Profile:
> http://bbsnotes.ugs.com/vbulletin/member.php?userid=191044
> View this thread: http://bbsnotes.ugs.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43112
>

Re: Siemens Long Term Policy Towards SE_Free2D

I find that the in-built help file is quite comprehensive in itself and
could be relied upon as a user manual. My only gripe is that some of the
features described are not applicable to the Free2D. My other disappointment
is that it can not do oblique annotation or dimensioning, so essential to
isometric diagrams.
Regards,
Lim

"endlerg@sunyocc.edu"
wrote in message news:endlergsunyocc.edu.4fyw8o@noreply.bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> Give me a decent real user manual in PDF and a little more time to
> decide if I really like it, and maybe a printed copy of the manual and
> I'd be wiling to part with $50 to $75 USD for the 2D version (for
> personal use). Email support or this forum with real company people to
> answer questions would be fine since nothing I would be doing would ever
> "demand" immediate attention like phone support requires.
>
> All that said free is nice, but I would still like a good book and
> maybe you could make some money selling that book to help subsidize the
> free software.
>
>
> --
> endlerg@sunyocc.edu
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> endlerg@sunyocc.edu's Profile:
> http://bbsnotes.ugs.com/vbulletin/member.php?userid=259409
> View this thread: http://bbsnotes.ugs.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43112
>

Re: Siemens Long Term Policy Towards SE_Free2D

Hi Dan,

"there is another 3D Parametric option in the market"

>


Hello Lim,

This may sound a bit uncourteous to post on this forum, but could you share this other 3D parametric option you mentioned, for our reference?

Thanks,

R

Re: Siemens Long Term Policy Towards SE_Free2D

Hi R,
I can't seem to reply directly to you through this newsgroup. May be you
could try to sent me a direct mail?
Thanks,
Lim

"rdias@noz.com.pt" wrote
in message news:rdiasnoz.com.pt.4gpkvz@noreply.bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> TH Lim;191038 Wrote:
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> "there is another 3D Parametric option in the market"
>>
>> >

>
> Hello Lim,
>
> This may sound a bit uncourteous to post on this forum, but could you
> share this other 3D parametric option you mentioned, for our reference?
>
> Thanks,
>
> R
>
>
> --
> rdias@noz.com.pt
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> rdias@noz.com.pt's Profile:
> http://bbsnotes.ugs.com/vbulletin/member.php?userid=262874
> View this thread: http://bbsnotes.ugs.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43112
>