Simple Architectural Drawing with Free 2D

N/A
I downloaded the software because I took on a new position as a space planning and interiors guru at the hospital I work at, and because my company will not pay for any type of CAD program.

I mainly want to use it to do simple layouts of offices with furniture, etc.

I'm going bats**t crazy trying to make a "simple" scaled drawing in this program. I've been reading tutorials and the free e-book trying to do this, and can't believe how rediculously difficult this is turning out to be.

Can someone please shed some light on how to simply draw a rectangular room to scale using typical 1:4 scale showing dimensions in ft and in?

I'm about to delete this program. I'm sorry, but I need the guide for dummies version I guess.
5 REPLIES

Re: Simple Architectural Drawing with Free 2D

N/A
If you read the Thread "Scaling Drawing using Solid Edge 2d" it might answer some of your questions. The thread is currently near the top of this forum.

Rich

N/A

N/A
That thread helped a little, but I'm still not convinced that the process to do this merits use of the program.

There are so many small things to work around. Like not being able to see the lengths unless you zoom in on the 2D page.

I also can't seem to get the lengths to show up as ft. in., and the whole process of getting the text to show up in the correct size on your working sheet??

Maybe I'll stick to paper and pencil.

N/A
Marcin,
I had the same problems at the outset! Ricky is best qualified to deal with
your questions but maybe the following helps:
Scaling: I assume you are using version ST3 and that your simple rectangle
is drawn on the 2D drawing sheet.
If so: open Sheet 1 (tab at bottom of window)/select 'Tables' (at top of
window)/'2D model'. This takes you back to the rectangle, left click top
left of your example rectangle then bottom right to select your rectangle.
It is now attached to you cursor and you are returned to Sheet 1. On the
left hand side of the window (or, maybe a horizontal ribbon depending on
your set-up) you will see 'Scale', which is at 1:1. Use the drop down arrow
to change the scale and the the 'red outline box' holding your example
rectangle changes size. When it fits Sheet 1, Left click to place the
rectangle.
Font Size for dimensions: in the 2D model window select a dimension, then in
the LH panel (or, horizontal ribbon) adjust the 'Text Scale' - insert a
value of choice.
Metric vs Imperial: In the 2d model window select a dimension , then in the
LH panel (or, horizontal ribbon) under 'Format' use the drop down list to
select 'ANSI inch'. Ricky (or, others) can guide you on how to set up
templates so all dimensions appear in your chosen format.
Hope this is what you are looking for.
Roger

"marcin.andruszkiewicz@advocatehealth.com" wrote in message
news:marcin.andruszkiewiczadvocatehealth.com.50689o@noreply.bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com...

That thread helped a little, but I'm still not convinced that the
process to do this merits use of the program.

There are so many small things to work around. Like not being able to
see the lengths unless you zoom in on the 2D page.
I also can't seem to get the lengths to show up as ft. in., and the
whole process of getting the text to show up in the correct size on your
working sheet??
Maybe I'll stick to paper and pencil.

--
marcin.andruszkiewicz@advocatehealth.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
marcin.andruszkiewicz@advocatehealth.com's Profile:
http://bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/vbulletin/member.php?userid=338594
View this thread:
http://bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46457

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Lets discuss scale first. Scale is what you do so that you can create a drawing and print your model on a drawing. What is your reason for 1:4 scale? A room will not fit on a drawing at 1:4 scale. Unless it is a big piece of paper.

The typical workflow for Solid Edge 2D Drafting is such that you do not create your model at scale, in your case it is the room. Draw the room full size. You worry with scale at the time you create a drawing for printing. The model itself is always 1:1 scale. If you design a car, will you design the car full size? Or will you design the car the size of a model car because you want to print it out on an 8.5 X 11 piece of paper? You design the car full size. Then you worry about scale when you want to create a drawing to print.

It is really simple.
1. Draw your model in the 2D Model tab at 1:1 scale. This is your model at full size.
2. Create a drawing by going back to a working sheet (Sheet 1). Set the sheet up for the correct drawing size by right mouse click on the 'Sheet 1' tab and select Sheet Setup. This where you define the sheet (paper) size. At this point you have a 1:1 model and a piece of paper to print.
3. Put a 2D Model view of you model on the piece of paper at whatever scale you need to fit it on the paper. Do this by running the 2D Model view command. By default the view will be placed at 1:1 scale, which is too big for the paper. Select the view and scale it down to fit the paper. Now you have a scaled drawing of you model ready to print.

I also assume you took all the defaults when you installed the software. If that is the case the software was installed with metric input as the default. You mention that you want feet. and inch. inputs. I could describe how to change all the options to set the software up for inch, but it is much easier to reinstall with inch in mind. There is a dialog displayed during installation that has an option for your standard. The default is ISO. Select ANSI then finish the installation. ANSI is inch. ISO is metric.

If you do not want to reinstall, then use the 'New' command to create a new file. It is under the round application window at the top left. Actually click on 'New'. This will display the 'New' dialog. Click on the 'More' tab. Click on 'ansi draft.dft' and click on OK. This will create an inch drawing.

If you reinstall the software and select ANSI as the standard, this is the file you will get by default.

Once you get through this, let me know and I will explain how to set up the inputs and dimensions for feet and inch.

Regards,
Rick B.