Slave an offset series to an irregular line?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Long time lurker... first post.

Have a problem that crops up ocassionally and thought someone could help.  Using 2D - ST6.  Full time engineer... part time draftsman.

I am trying to keep a series of offset lines perpendicular and attached to an irregularly curved line.  The best way I have found to describe it is placing cross ties on an irregularly curved railroad track. 

I have slogged through the posts and searched (likely for the wrong terms) the forum before this posting.  If I missed it, sorry in advance.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, Snuffy

4 REPLIES

Re: Slave an offset series to an irregular line?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Snuffy,

Presumably your irregular line has been made using the "curve" [spline] command.....therefore cannot be controlled by the "Offset" command, in the same fashion, as for a single line, or even a chain, made up of lines & arc's can be. Not sure what the exact limitation is here, but this is the same for the full commercial version also.

Maybe you could provide a 2D file for the line in question, for a better evaluation than my first shot at it.....but I'd suggest, if you need that type of control, then you'd be far better off rebuilding it with an equivalent profile made up using only line & arc segments.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Sean,

I appreciate your reply.  I have attached an illustration to help define what I am trying to acheive.

Snuffy

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Snuffy,

Yes, it is because of you're using a spline that you don't get some of the same options to control, or even construct other geometry.

I would still advise attacking this using only "Line" or "Arc" elements....such as my rough attempt at getting what I think you're looking to do.

In my example, I made an arc that fitted the spline pretty close, and used a circular pattern of a line set at one end, in order to get the array along.

ST8_DFT_OffsetAlongCurveMethod.png

I wonder if @Ricky_Black has anything further to add here?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Sean,

That is precisely what I am trying to achieve!  I think this will solve my problem!

I have had to do this by hand several times... and it was exceptionally time consuming.  I appreciate the advice and will give it a whirl as soon as possible.

Many thanks,

Snuffy