Software Bug

N/A
This message if for Rick or anyone else at Siemens. I could not find a way to send a private message to the moderator so I'm posting this here.

I believe I found a bug in the software. When I go to open a file and the "Open File" window pops up, if I highlight one of the files by single clicking on it with the left mouse button and then right click on it while it is highlighted, the program locks up every time. (Actually I just tried it again and just right clicked on it instead of left then right clicking and the problem is exhibited so it appears it is the right click that is causing the problem). I tried it a number of times and was able to duplicate the problem every time. So I shut down all running applications and rebooted thinking there was a program to program interaction that wasn't happy. After my computer rebooted I ran only Solid Edge and was still able to duplicate the problem every time. Sometimes it gave me a message saying there was an error and had to shut down but most of the time it just locked up. Here are the particulars of my computer.

Intel Core 2
2.55GHz
3GB of RAM

Windows XP Pro
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Let me know if you need any more information.

Ed
6 REPLIES

Re: Software Bug

N/A
Ed,
I assume you are runing ST3. Correct?
Have you done any UI customization?
Are you using a standard mouse, not customized?
I am not seeing the problem on ST3.
I can give you directions on how to reset the UI back to the deffaults to
see if that will help.
Rick B.

N/A
Ed,
I assume you are runing ST3. Correct?
Have you done any UI customization?
Are you using a standard mouse, not customized?
I am not seeing the problem on ST3.
I can give you directions on how to reset the UI back to the deffaults to
see if that will help.

Rick B.

Rick,

I'm running ST3. I have not done any customization to the UI that I'm aware of but it wouldn't hurt to tell me how to set the UI back to the defaults and see if that fixes the problem. My mouse is a Logitech wireless mouse, M505.

I'm going to try and see if the problem is exhibited on my computers at home. It's likely something to do with my work computer. I'm scheduled to get a new one at work any day now so the problem may disappear when that happens.

Thanks for responding.

Ed

N/A
Rick,

I tried it on both of my computers at home and my desktop computer which is running Windows XP Pro also exhibits the problem but my notebook computer which is running Windows 7 does not exhibit the problem. I was thinking about your question about customizing the UI and if adding quick select buttons to the bar at the top is customizing the UI then I have done that. But isn't being able to add buttons to that bar a feature of the program so it should not cause it to crash. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ed

N/A
I just tried it on an XPsp3 machine and it brings up a context menu when I right click, or left click then right click. I have done no customization at all. I'll try when I get home on my win7 64bit machine and see what happens, then maybe try adding some buttons and see what happens.

N/A
I got my new computer at work today and it does not exhibit the problem. I'm guessing it's something to do with customizing the UI as Rick has suggested. I'm waiting to get the instructions for resetting the interface back to the default to see if that fixes the problem on computer that is still exhibiting the problem.

Rick,

Any chance of getting those instructions when you get a chance?

Thanks,
Ed

N/A
Ed,
I have been out of the office and have limited access to the internet.
I will give you directions to reset the UI back to the original settings.
Follow the directions carefully. Make sure you look carefully at the items
specified. There are registry entries that are similar. Make sure you are
getting the entry specified.
Removing the wrong entry can be disasterous and could cause a system rebuild
to fix.
1. Close Solid Edge 2D Drafting.
2. Click on Start.
3. Click on Run.
4. In the 'Open:' field key in "regedit".
5. Click OK. This will start the Registry Editor.
Be very careful from here on. A mistake can be fatal to your system!!!
6. Click on the '+' in front of 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER'.
7. Click on the '+' in front of 'Software'.
8. Click on the '+' in front of 'Unigraphics Solutions'.
9. Click on 'Solid Edge'. Do not click on the '+' in front of 'Solid Edge'.
'Solid Edge' should be the only item highlighted.
10. Press the Delete key on the keyboard. The entry for 'Solid Edge' will be
removed.
11. Click on the red 'X' in the upper right corner of the Registry Editor.
This will close the registry editor.
Run Solid Edge 2D Drafting and see if this fixes the problem.
Regards,
Rick B.