Solid Edge 2D Drafting St V100 - 1st Impressions

N/A
Hi everyone,
1.. I think the new GUI is a step backward. The tool bars take up too much space resulting is a reduced Editor Window,
2.. Is there any way to revert to the classic layout? I think users want to see more of the work area not, less. Catia is a good example of letting the user see more.
3.. A GUI something akin to I-DEAS would be great. Black background and high contrast provides better visibility,
4.. Past SE versions were not good at converting dwg files. Often, the fonts didn't get translated properly especially Asian fonts.
5.. This version appears to be better at translating Asian fonts but the file crashed as soon as I tried to draw the 1st. line.
Lim
6 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge 2D Drafting St V100 - 1st Impressions

N/A
Lim,
We are doing some work on command layout, but the new Office look is the future of the UI. You cannot get the old UI back. What screen resolution do you use. I use a high resolution which gives me more drawing area.
You can easily change the background. Click on the button in the upper right hand corner. Click on Solid Edge Options. Click on Colors. Change the Color Scheme combo box to AutoCAD Model. Objects now use a Black/White color by default. Objects will change display color based on the background color. you do not have to change the color of the objects manually.
As for the crash, If you can send a file with steps to reproduce the crash I can investigate it.
Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Rick,
Thank you for your response.
1.. The shop that I work for acquired 2 seats of SE at my behest,
2.. I recommended SE against SW specifically because the Intergraph style UI was minimal that provided a lrger editing area,
3.. This V100 version now looks more like what SW was at the time of SE V15. Perhaps, much worse.
4.. I particularly dislike the SW preview window that put itself over the main Editing window. I felt that the SE red preview on the actual Editing window was superior,
5.. The SE strong point was its very elegant Ribbon Bar. This is now replaced by an SE look alike minor window.
6.. Both the new toolbar and ribbonbar takes up too much screen lines and columns resulting in a reduced Editing window, no matter how high the resolution setting is,
7.. The new Prompt Bar is also a disappointment,
8.. I consider this to be a setback in UI design.
9.. What would really be cool is for SE to have translucent menus and toolbars. And that too should be a minimalist design.
1.. I can't seem to find and Options button on the upper right hand. All I see is the help button.
2.. Is this option available through the menu bar? I can't seem to find it there neither.
Regards,
Lim
"Ricky Black" wrote in message news:49edc595$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
Lim,
We are doing some work on command layout, but the new Office look is the future of the UI. You cannot get the old UI back. What screen resolution do you use. I use a high resolution which gives me more drawing area.
You can easily change the background. Click on the button in the upper right hand corner. Click on Solid Edge Options. Click on Colors. Change the Color Scheme combo box to AutoCAD Model. Objects now use a Black/White color by default. Objects will change display color based on the background color. you do not have to change the color of the objects manually.
As for the crash, If you can send a file with steps to reproduce the crash I can investigate it.
Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Lim,
The changes to the UI were made to make SE look more like the Microsoft Office products.
Solid Edge Options are under the round button in the upper left. There is a button at the bottom og the command list.
Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Dear Ricky,
Frankly, I don't know what the fixation with MS Office is about. I thought that most people have switched to Open Office by now. I think it would pay SE big dividend if it could also work with Open Office spreadsheet and database.
I think there is a big difference between upper left and upper right hand corner that was mentioned in your initial response. Anyway, thank you for it. Having a black background greatly improves visibility for colored lines and fonts. This should infact be the default setting. May I go one further to suggest that SE include a selectable option where line width is automatically associated with ISO colors for line widths. I believe ISO 9175-1 specify line widths from 0.13 mm through 2.0 mm and these line widths are available in SE. If my memory have not failed me, I think the most used line widths and their corresponding colors are as follows;
1.. 0.25 mm - White
2.. 0.35 mm - Yellow
3.. 0.5 mm - Brown
4.. 0.7 mm - Orange
Just my 2 cents,
Lim
"Ricky Black" wrote in message news:49f5af8f$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
Lim,
The changes to the UI were made to make SE look more like the Microsoft Office products.
Solid Edge Options are under the round button in the upper left. There is a button at the bottom og the command list.
Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Sorry folks,
0.7 mm should be Blue. Orange is for 1.0 mm
Lim
"TH Lim" wrote in message news:49f90b21@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
Dear Ricky,
Frankly, I don't know what the fixation with MS Office is about. I thought that most people have switched to Open Office by now. I think it would pay SE big dividend if it could also work with Open Office spreadsheet and database.
I think there is a big difference between upper left and upper right hand corner that was mentioned in your initial response. Anyway, thank you for it. Having a black background greatly improves visibility for colored lines and fonts. This should infact be the default setting. May I go one further to suggest that SE include a selectable option where line width is automatically associated with ISO colors for line widths. I believe ISO 9175-1 specify line widths from 0.13 mm through 2.0 mm and these line widths are available in SE. If my memory have not failed me, I think the most used line widths and their corresponding colors are as follows;
1.. 0.25 mm - White
2.. 0.35 mm - Yellow
3.. 0.5 mm - Brown
4.. 0.7 mm - Orange
Just my 2 cents,
Lim
"Ricky Black" wrote in message news:49f5af8f$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
Lim,
Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Lim,
You are correct. The button is on the left, not the right. I am left handed and left handed people are in their right mind. So I do get it backwards often. :-)
Rick B.