Solid edge big lag and failed computations while using max 30% RAM and 4% CPU

[ Edited ]

I'm working with a large parametric 2D model.

My computer is a

-Lenovo Thinkpad W530,

-16GB RAM,

-i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz

-HD4000 + K2000M for the GPU

-64-bit operating, x64-based processor

-250GB SSD

-Windows 10 Home

When making changes that are computationally expensive,

- I can hear the fan booting up,

- Solid edge freezes for a while

- Many dimensions fail

The strange thing is that

- the CPU never reads over 5%

- the laptop never uses more than 5GB RAM, and this doesn't appear to spike when difficult CAD operation performed - like it's just using 5GB on background processes

I suspect that Solid Edge isn't properly accessing the RAM or CPU, though not sure where to start looking for the blocks.

Does anyone have any thoughts about where to start, or what may be going on here?complex model move action logged in other photos.PNG

Not using RAM or CPU.PNGRAM details.PNGSolid Edge not responding CPU.PNG

7 REPLIES

Re: Solid edge big lag and failed computations while using max 30% RAM and 4% CPU

28 march Nvidia came with an update for its drivers, could you check your driver and see if it can be updates. Don't use the windows update, but download the dirvers directly from nvidia:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/101082/en-uk

Re: Solid edge big lag and failed computations while using max 30% RAM and 4% CPU

Hi Kaak,
That has definitely improved the performance somewhat, will see how far I get with it!

Thanks Kaak, it did help a little, but only incremental improvement - the issue isn't yet resolved... 

@peterjacobson If you have a large 2D set of elements that have relationships between them, Solid Edge 2D is going to get slow.  The 2D Solver just gets overwhelmed when thousands of elements multiplied by the number of relationships on each (geometric and dimensional) are in play.  This also is compounded if you bridge your multiple views with relationships to keep them aligned.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

As Ken states 2D DCM solve can get intensive with large data sets. What you need to do is to work in a way that eliminates so many constraints. There are many ways to do this. You can use blocks for geometries that are duplicated. You can also use Ridgid Sets to localize a set of geometry that does not change within the overall geometry.Modify the geometry and created a block from the geometry that is being duplicated/mirrored. What this does is to eliminate solving the geometry within the block to only the position of the block relative to the larger geometry set of geometry. All the geometry in the block is not being solved. The block can be edited to make localized changes to that geometry. If you want me to work this up as an example, let me know.

Regards,

Rick B.

Not exactly the same problem, however when working with larger files SE2d occasionally slows right down and clicking on buttons takes awhile for the focus to change to the selected button. If I close the file and reopen the problem goes away.

Pete

Hi Rick,

Thanks for suggestion. Just had a play with blocks. Interesting nesting multiple blocks within one profile. Seems they lose relationships on changes, redefining on relationship will recover other relationships. Strange. I'm playing with shifting to a 3D model, an assembly of parts all driving each other. This is proving challenging and time consuming so far - I may return to 2D and explore blocks and other optimisations further...