Reply

Translation of DXF files to SE V20


I need to work with DXF files made from Cadra. They have been drawn to various
scales, 2:1, 10:1.
When these are opened in SE the view size is correct but dimensions are changed
in
proportion to the scale, actual .750 is shown as 1.500, etc.
Is there a fix?
Otherwise I like the way it works.
Thank You,
John
5 REPLIES

Re: Translation of DXF files to SE V20

Not sure, but it sounds like you have the import option "Import Dimensions
as Dimensions" turned on, and when they are created in SE, they are not
being scaled to match your scaled geometry. Turn the option off and you
should not have the problem, but the imported dimensions will just be
geometry.
--
PellaKen
http://grundey.blogspot.com
"John Buscher" wrote in message
news:4799012e$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> I need to work with DXF files made from Cadra. They have been drawn to
> various
> scales, 2:1, 10:1.
>
> When these are opened in SE the view size is correct but dimensions are
> changed
> in
> proportion to the scale, actual .750 is shown as 1.500, etc.
>
> Is there a fix?
>
> Otherwise I like the way it works.
>
> Thank You,
>
> John


Re: Translation of DXF files to SE V20


Ken,
Thank you for your suggestion.
I was able to open the files in SE by switching off "Import Dims..".
In SE they look the same as in Cadra with dimension shown correctly. Only problem,
when I make any revision to the file all revised features and dimensions are multiplied
by the scale factor.
Any other ideas appreciated.
John




"Ken Grundey" wrote:
>Not sure, but it sounds like you have the import option "Import Dimensions
>
>as Dimensions" turned on, and when they are created in SE, they are not
>being scaled to match your scaled geometry. Turn the option off and you
>should not have the problem, but the imported dimensions will just be
>geometry.
>
>--
>PellaKen
>http://grundey.blogspot.com
>"John Buscher" wrote in message
>news:4799012e$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>>
>> I need to work with DXF files made from Cadra. They have been drawn to
>> various
>> scales, 2:1, 10:1.
>>
>> When these are opened in SE the view size is correct but dimensions are

>
>> changed
>> in
>> proportion to the scale, actual .750 is shown as 1.500, etc.
>>
>> Is there a fix?
>>
>> Otherwise I like the way it works.
>>
>> Thank You,
>>
>> John

>
>

Re: Translation of DXF files to SE V20

That is the reason that you should never work with scaled geometry. You
have a couple of choices. I would rescale the geometry so that it is
correctly set to 1:1 on the 2D Model sheet then scale is not an issue. If
the geometry won't fit on the border, you either scale the border to fit or
you can use the 2D Model Views on the working sheet to place the geometry on
the 2D Model sheet at a specified scale. Dimensions placed to the 2D Model
Views will scale appropriately.
--
PellaKen
http://grundey.blogspot.com
"John Buscher" wrote in message
news:4799f542$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> Ken,
> Thank you for your suggestion.
> I was able to open the files in SE by switching off "Import Dims..".
>
> In SE they look the same as in Cadra with dimension shown correctly. Only
> problem,
> when I make any revision to the file all revised features and dimensions
> are multiplied
> by the scale factor.
>
> Any other ideas appreciated.
>
> John
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Ken Grundey" wrote:
>>Not sure, but it sounds like you have the import option "Import Dimensions
>>
>>as Dimensions" turned on, and when they are created in SE, they are not
>>being scaled to match your scaled geometry. Turn the option off and you
>>should not have the problem, but the imported dimensions will just be
>>geometry.
>>
>>--
>>PellaKen
>>http://grundey.blogspot.com
>>"John Buscher" wrote in message
>>news:4799012e$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>>>
>>> I need to work with DXF files made from Cadra. They have been drawn to
>>> various
>>> scales, 2:1, 10:1.
>>>
>>> When these are opened in SE the view size is correct but dimensions are

>>
>>> changed
>>> in
>>> proportion to the scale, actual .750 is shown as 1.500, etc.
>>>
>>> Is there a fix?
>>>
>>> Otherwise I like the way it works.
>>>
>>> Thank You,
>>>
>>> John

>>
>>
>

Re: Translation of DXF files to SE V20

Hi everybody,
I know the thread is a bit old but I'm facing difficulties with Solid Edge SE 2D ST3 while importing .dxf.
The logical setting for the unit is for us mm but if I choose so, I lose precision when measuring areas of complex shapes. This is a real problem because some holes of 1/100 between an arc and a line are not even considered.
When I use cm as import unit, the precision is better but I have to use a 10:1 scale during the measure of area. I can use a bigger zoom as well
How do you explain this phenomena and can you give me a way to get a sufficient precision, even with mm set in the import options?
Thanks,

Re: Translation of DXF files to SE V20

Can you send one of the files.
Point out where the issue is.
Send the file directly to me.
Rick B.
ricky.black@siemens.com

"stephane.bodin@cooperstandard.com"

wrote in message
news:stephane.bodincooperstandard.com.4ucktb@noreply.bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com...
>
> Hi everybody,
> I know the thread is a bit old but I'm facing difficulties with Solid
> Edge SE 2D ST3 while importing .dxf.
> The logical setting for the unit is for us mm but if I choose so, I lose
> precision when measuring areas of complex shapes. This is a real problem
> because some holes of 1/100 between an arc and a line are not even
> considered.
> When I use cm as import unit, the precision is better but I have to use
> a 10:1 scale during the measure of area. I can use a bigger zoom as
> well
> How do you explain this phenomena and can you give me a way to get a
> sufficient precision, even with mm set in the import options?
> Thanks,
>
>
> --
> stephane.bodin@cooperstandard.com
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> stephane.bodin@cooperstandard.com's Profile:
> http://bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/vbulletin/member.php?userid=330551
> View this thread:
> http://bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20026
>