Trouble getting my 2d model drawing showing up in a working sheet

Hi,

I have just downloaded the free Solid Edge 2d ST7 software. I drew a design in 2d model mode since it wouldn't fit into the working sheet without scaling.

I now want to move this model to a working sheet, however nothing I do seems to get it there. I can successfully open a working sheet, however it just has the generic borders without my model showing up anywhere. Please help, it would be greatly appreciated!

I attached the drawing in case this helps.

Thanks,

Mathias

9 REPLIES

Re: Trouble getting my 2d model drawing showing up in a working sheet

Also, I have already tried this method (Which I have read works on other peoples posts) without success:

-Start on a Working Sheet tab

-Select the View tab then select 2d Model. This then takes me to my drawing in 2d Model view.

-Next drag with my mouse over the entire drawing in the 2d Model section.

According to other posts in this forum this should automatically take my drawing into the Working Sheet, however it isn't working like this

[ Edited ]

You must be missing a step in the workflow you mention.

1. Create your geometry in 2D Model design space.

2. Go to Sheet1 or any other working sheet. See the sheet tabs at the bottom.

3. Run the 2D Model view command.

4. You will see your geometry from 2D Model in the display window.

5. Read the prompts. You will click two points that puts a rectangular fence around the geometry you want to see on the working sheet. Do not click and drag. Simply clisk one point and you will see a rectangle as you move the mouse. Click the second point to fence the geometry.

6. OK, this is most likely where it is not going as expected. Once you return to the working sheet you will be in dynalic placement. The view is actually attached to the cursor at the center. You will not see the geometry yet. It may be that the view is so large that the rectangle that is displayed is larger than the current display. While the command is still running, you will see a command bar that allows you to change the scale of the view. Either change the scale to something smaller, or click on Fit at the bottom and then with the cursorin the display window start scrolling out to zoom out until you see the rectangle. Or you can simply click to place the view and the geometry will display.

7. Once you place the view you can select it again to change the scale again.

Regards,

Rick B.

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply, unfortunately I still don't seem to be able  do it as you described. I've tried attaching a video of my screen but the forum doesn't seem to accept the attacment. Anyways, this is what happens:

I attempt to click in two corners of a rectangle around the 2d model drawing and it doesn't select it.

I then go back to the Working Sheet and no command bar pops up telling me I can scale the drawing.

I figured out that I can drag a rectangle around the drawing and copy and paste the drawing into the working sheet however there is no option for scaling it which is what I'm really after.

Thanks,

Mathias.

Okay, so I managed to upload the video to Youtube, the link is here: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IkjyBGKTiQ&feature=youtube_gdata

Once again, thanks for any help you can give me

The problem is that you are not running the 2D Model view command. All you are doing is going to the 2D Model geometry area where your geometry resides.

When you are on a working sheet (Sheet1) there is a command on the Tables tab in the Drawing Views command group called 2D Model. This places a 2D Model view on the working sheet. This is the command that will allow you to specify the area of your geometry to display as a view on the working sheet.

Regards,

Rick B..

That worked perfecty. Thanks so much for your help!

Hi, y'all,

I've got the same problem described by the original poster, but I can't find any "2D Model View Command" in the tables tab. I've opened a ".dft" file that I created many moons ago in the free 2D package, and need to create a new view of the 2D model on a new sheet. But there's no 2D Model View command anywhere.

When I ask help about the command, it says that the command is not in the current environment. That makes sense, and I suspect it's because I'm not using the free 2D package anymore but am in the middle of a 45-day trial of the full app, which includes 3D capabilities.

(In my case, the "Tables" thing shows up in "Diagram".)

So... how do I get that command, even in the full-blown 3D package?

Thanks,
Bill

I assume you are currently on a Working sheet (Sheet1), correct? You cannot place a 2D Model View in the 2D Model drawing space. Click on the Sheet1 tab. In Command Finder at the bottom key in '2D Model'  and press enter. The command is close to the bottom of the list shown in Comand Finder. If you cannot find it through Command Finder, look on the Sketching tab and in the Drawing Views command group all the way to the right hand side of the command bar.

Regards,

Rick B.

Yes, I'm on a working sheet, and I tried using the Command Finder to find "2D Model View" and it said it wasn't available in my current environment. (It's too cold and snowy outside, I suppose.)

That said, Rick B., you found it for me! And now that I know what I was looking for, I don't know how I missed it.

Many, many thanks!

Bill