Unable to move groups from one layer to another

When I use the "move elements" command to move items from one layer to another, the non-grouped elements change layers just fine, but any elements that are in a group don't, even if I try to move the entire group. What happens instead is that the grouped elements disappear in both the source layer and the destination layer unless I have both layers showing.

I assume I must be doing something wrong, since this seems like a very basic operation, and I don't see anybody referring to it on this forum. I would be most grateful for any assistance.
1 REPLY

Re: Unable to move groups from one layer to another

First, think of a group as a collector or owner. The group is a collector of geometry. The geometry can be on a layer. The group can also be on a layer. Because of this the group can be on a different layer than the geometry. Hiding either layer will hide the geometry in the group. When you move a group to another layer you are not moving the geometry to the layer, only the group. You can move the geometry to the same layer as the group by changing the way geometry is selected. In the Select vommand click on the button 'Select - Bottom Up'. This will allow Select to look through the group to the geometry in the group. You cn then change the layer of the geometry to be the sme as that of the group.

Regards,
Rick B.