Using dimension names in other annotations

I haven't figured out how to do this in SE yet, but I feel like it's definitely possible, I'm just fumbling somewhere.

When I design sheet metal, I have the .psm detail piece, and the .asm with any ancillary parts (PEMs, rivets, etc). Can I show the dimensions used to create the installation holes and patterns for for these features in a view depicting the .asm model? Or is this strictly only viable with PMI annotations? It just seems inefficient to have to create these dimensions twice.

Also, when the pattern for, say, a row of PEMs is called out, it generally follows the format 4 EQ SPACES @ 1.000  = (5.000), and the original 1.000 dimension is reference. Is it possible for me to use the dimension name (V######) in the pattern dimension so that it will update if the incremental dimension changes? The format eg.: 4 EQ SPACES @ %V1##### = (%V2#####).

This is easily achievable in Creo / Pro-E, but I can't seem to suss this out in SE. I have a feeling it has to do with the model displayed in the view (.par/.psm vs .asm) and the created (draft) vs shown/PMI dimensions, and my own lofty expectations of getting what I want, how I want it. =P

Any help is appreciated.

Solid Edge ST6 - Unmanaged
Win7 Pro - Dell Precision Xeon rig, 16Gb, Quadro M2000
2 REPLIES

Re: Using dimension names in other annotations

1st question: are you wanting to see thh dims in the assy or in a draft? from draft there is a retrieve dims command..  at the assy i think the only way is via PMI...

2nd question...  yes you can link pattern to a variable via the variable table.

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Re: Using dimension names in other annotations

Hi Matt,

1st - I'd like to show the part-level dimensions (the same you get with Retrieve Dims) in a view of the assembly (or subassembly) in a drawing. I thought maybe activating the part in the view before using Retrieve Dims would work, but the view is un-clickable with the command.

2nd - I guess to clarify, in the attached picture, I'd like to enter the dimension name in the text field of the dimension prefix dialog box as shown as a way to keep the note parametrically linked to the incremental distance value.

dim_name_trickery.png

Solid Edge ST6 - Unmanaged
Win7 Pro - Dell Precision Xeon rig, 16Gb, Quadro M2000