WORD PROCESSING FROM MS WORD INTO ST4?

N/A
Ricky, when I need to include a large amount of text in a drawing for instructions, I found that I could develop the text in MS Word and copy/paste it over into the CALL OUT properties box. Was this an intended feature or a “new” discovery which could lead to problems. If the latter, is there another way to accomplish this?

Ron
8 REPLIES

Re: WORD PROCESSING FROM MS WORD INTO ST4?

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Ron,
When you copy/paste into the callout properties dialog, the text will become text as the callout needs it. There should not be any problems. you can also paste into a text box. It depends on what you want to do with the text. If it is notes that you are adding to the drawing, you may want to use the text box. If the text is really complex and you want to maintain the appearance of the Word document you can embed the Word document directly in the Draft file. Use the Insert Object command. Uncheck the Link check box in the dialog.

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Ricky, how do you copy/paste "into a text" boxand keep it editiable within SE? In a call out, it is editiable.

Additionally, I work in a black screen so to get the Word text to showup, I have to color it "white" while in Word. And I bet when I print it out the text will no longer be visible.

Thanks,
Ron

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
When you Paste your Word text selection into the Text Box, you must use CTRL+V. Using the Past command on the toolbar interupts the Text Box command and pastes the Word file in as an object...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Community Manager
Ron,
I am confused with the black screen thing.
Are you saying you use a black screen in Draft?, in Word?, or in both.
Anyway, in Draft the default color is something called Black/White. This produces an inverse color. If the sheet background is black, anything with this color will be white. If the sheet background color is white, anything with this color will be black. To copy and paste from Word to a text box do the following. Open the word file and copy the text. Go to Draft and run the Text Box command. there is two ways you can define the text box. 1. single click to start text in place with no predefined size. 2 Click and drag to define a predefined size for the text box. In either case the text box is started and you will see the cursor blinking in the text box. Use Ctrl+P to past the text copied from Word into the text box. Escape to accept the text.

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Ken/Ricky, thanks. The black screen that I m referring to is the black/white environment. I use it for both the Model and Draft mode even though I would prefer to use white for the Draft mode. I don t because I read somewhere that I shouldn t.

Sorry, but when I use the shortcut key for PASTE, I don t get the result you all describe. I get the same as I do using the PASTE command regardless of whether I m in Model or Draft. Neither way produces and editable text box like the CALLUP command does. I did learn, though, that there is another way to create a TEXT block, i.e., draw a box and then type into it.

Thanks,
Ron

Community Manager
Ron,
When you paste something into Draft then the active style is used. In this case it would be the active style for the Text Box. By default the the color is the Black/White color. Again this inverts color based on background. Start the Text Box command and look at the button for Text color. From what you describe. This color will be either black or white. Black will not display on a black background. And white will not display on a white background. Click on the Text color button and select the colot image that is half blank and half white. It should be the last one. Place some test like this. then try to do the copy from Word again.
Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Ricky, I just can't get it to work the way you say. I will not pursue this any more.

Thanks,
Ron

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Ron, in the following video I create a text box, type some text, highlight it and copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C). I then create a second text box and paste the copied text into it using Ctrl+V. This is identical process to using Word (replaces Text Box 1).
http://screencast.com/t/cz74GxscX

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1