Windowing

I am an Auto Cad user also and in Auto Cad I can zoom and pan my window with my mouse.
Can this be set up in SE 2d?
Thanks
5 REPLIES

Re: Windowing

Yes.
Go to Options, View and deselect "Horizontal scroll bar" and "Vertical scroll bar".
Your mouse wheel should now allow you to zoom in and out by turning the mouse wheel.
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for though.
Ed
"Dave Leitch" wrote:
>
>I am an Auto Cad user also and in Auto Cad I can zoom and pan my window with
>my mouse.
> Can this be set up in SE 2d?
>
>Thanks

Dave,
In addition to this, you can press and hols the CTRL + right mouse and then
drag to zoom in and out.
You can also press and hold CTRL + Shift + right mouse and then drag to
pan.
Regards,
Rick B.

I do not if it is me or the software, but with ST3 it seems that I am always having to establish focus by clicking in the graphic viewing area before mouse scroll wheel zoom works. With the ST3 application being the foremost application all that should be required is to have the mouse pointer hover in the graphics area.

Panning is causing me the most frustration. Without a doubt panning initiating in ST3 is the most difficult operation to preform compared to every other CAD system I have used. Unlike the mouse scroll wheel zoom, initiating a pan requires a mental focus breaking multi event sequence. This is not right; poor UI design and needs to be corrected.

Considering that zoom and pan are two of the most used functions in any drafting application they BOTH should easily be affected via the mouse. The obvious solution is to use the middle mouse button/scroll wheel: depressing and holding down the middle button (scroll wheel) initiates a pan. Pan operation remains in effect until the mouse button is released.

At least you got zoom implemented right, especially rolling the mouse wheel away moves the drawing away (zooms out) and rolling the wheel toward you zooms in.

Go to Solid Edge Options - View tab.
Uncheck 'Horizontal scroll bar' and 'Vertical scroll bar'.
Currently this is a file preference.
That means that you need to set this in your template.
It is being changed to a user preference so that once you set it, it will be
that way for all drawings.
Regards,
Rick B.

I am confused.
How would un-checking the horizontal and vertical scroll bars address my complaint? What in my post gave you the impression that they were turned on? (They are not checked.)
With respect to changing options, has anyone ever made an issue of how non intuitive it is to navigate to the options setting area? (You first have to discover where the "Customize the Ribbon" is, then discover that the "Options..." button is buried under the "Radial Menu" tab.)
Back to the "pan" initiation issue. Of all the ways in which pan can be initiated in ST3 the least obnoxious method I have found is the hold method. Compare this with how easy it is to initiate/perform a zoom; there is no comparison with respect to ergonomic efficiency.
Please do not tell me that panning is can easily be initiated completely via a "Radial Menu" mouse gesture. Of all the methods available this is the worst ergonomically: hold, wait 400 ms, move mouse to hover over "Dynamic Pan" option, release , depress . (Note: I have lowered the 400 ms default to 250ms.)
This is not a case of a stubborn user who learned to initiate panning in a different CAD tool and wants ST3 to work the same way, refusing to learn a “different” way. You need to improve the way panning is initiated to make it on par with zoom. Please consider my suggestion to implement it through the middle mouse button: depress and hold . Note: You could also assign different functionality to the when it is depressed and released quickly (<200 ms). Depressing the longer than 200 ms would be interpreted as initiate pan operation.