Working with 2D files from 3D Solid Edge

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am a former user of 3D Solid Edge, now retired. I downloaded the free 2D software so I could at least access some stuff I had done in the past. I have a problem though with draft files that had been created form 3D models. I expected to be able to convert them to draft like in 3D. However I cannot even select the geometry at all, or add dimensions. Is there some way convert them to a 2D model?

6 REPLIES

Re: Working with 2D files from 3D Solid Edge

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This is by design. 2D Drafting is not intended to be able to annotate drawing views derived from 3D models. The way this is accomplished is by making the drawing views display only. They cannot be located.

Regards,

Rick B.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thanks for the reply. Not what I had hoped to hear, but I guess is what is to be expected. Although it is a moot point, would it have worked if the original drawing had been converted to draft? (ie disassociated from the 3D model)

Sent from my iPad

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

X3Duser wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Not what I had hoped to hear, but I guess is what is to be expected. Although it is a moot point, would it have worked if the original drawing had been converted to draft? (ie disassociated from the 3D model)

Hi there @X3Duser,

Yes, this is how I send out info to a to a small shop I deal with [they're building towards getting a full seat]......happy to translate one or two files for you, if you need.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Sean. I may take you up on the offer once I determine which 1 or 2 files I need the most.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I just tried a work around I was contemplating and found it works. By converting the draft file (generated from a 3D file) to dxf and then importing the dxf  back into Solid Edge 2D, the original geometry becomes a block. You can drop the block and now have lines you can locate for dimensioning or modification.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Some people here use the 2D drafting and we have similar issues. It's a little silly to have to conver to dxf and back to dft. It would be nice if the 2D package offered a way to convert the views to 2D directly and force a save to a new name so that the original 3D dft will remain unchanged.

As it is here we use Insight and the people who use 2D don't have access to that database anyway so they can't use or harm the original.

Actually it would also be nice if 2D could access dfts without editing privileges from Insight and save them out to a non-managed location for their uses rather than needing someone to save them out for them.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200