change text to line in drafting

Can change text to line in solid edge(Drafting)??

8 REPLIES

Re: change text to line in drafting

Hi there @kanidtha,

This has been on my "wish list" for a long time.....the only way I know of to do this in draft, is to show a sketch from 3D model face, then right click on the view to use "Convert to 2D View"....then use "Draw In View" to copy the text geometry, or whatever else......

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

It suddenly occurred to me you might be using 2D only version of Solid Edge, so in that case, you'll need to use "Save As Translated" to a DWG, the open that into an SE-draft template, right click on the imported geometry and choose "Un-Block" to explode the entities, such as the annoying [wish there was a way to hide that] text frame.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Hi,

I am new to the forum and to SE, I have recently purchase a new CNC Plasma table which is supplied with ST6 2d Draft free software. I have saved my draft as a dwg/dxf as you have instructed above, but when I re-open the dxf file the text has disappeared from its frame!.... where am I going wrong?

Thank you,
AD

Hi there @AD_80,

Are you able to please share both the Solid Edge file & your exported DWG/DXF files, [or at least screen captures] so I/we can interogate your issue better?

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Text in its box on a plate to cutText in its box on a plate to cutSave as translated DXFSave as translated DXFRe-open as dxfRe-open as dxf

Text vanished?Text vanished?Create Text ProfileCreate Text Profile

Am I going about this the right way, or should I be changing something in 'options' when saving & opening as translated?

Any help is much appreciated, I am very new to this!

[ Edited ]

Hi there @AD_80,

I'm on Solid Edge ST9, so it will look a little different, but should have most of the same settings available. [highly recommend upgrading, if you are able to].....here are my setting, that result in a DXF with the text [as geometry] present, after running the "Unblock" command, to then delete the text boundary box.

NOTE [1]: I have a shortcut added to the QAT [Quick Access Toolbar] for the "Save As Translated" command, in my first pic....normally, App Button > Save As > Save As Translated ~ DXF format.

NOTE [2]: If you do make any changes to these setting, Solid Edge will ask you to save this to a NEW configuration [.INI] file......you might notice I've just appended an "underscore & SS" to it, and saved.

2017-04-10 (0).png

2017-04-10 (1).png

2017-04-10 (2).png

2017-04-10 (3).png

2017-04-10 (4).png

2017-04-10 (5).png

2017-04-10 (6).png

2017-04-10 (7).png

2017-04-10 (8).png

2017-04-10 (9).png

Hop this helps.....

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Hi Sean,

Many thanks for the reply, sorry for the late reply!

The console for my CNC Plasma table is 32bit only hence the ST6 version. I have the ST9 on my home workstation and I am able to unblock the text no problem - just as you have done above, only I did notice in options there are no lists shown for Line type & Font, any idea why that might be?

It just seems to be on ST6 I have the problem, it would be nice to be able to do this at work without having to do it at home. But if push came to shove I would just have to save to a memory stick etc.

Thanks AD-80