Reply

drawing area set up comand


alright im making some progress but i still dont have a good referance for where
im at when im drawing.the drawing area set up asks me to create a border so that
my drawing comes out at 1 to 1 but i dont know how to achieve this. i belive in
my 2d model view default page is an infinite space because i cant find any predefined
borders.why do i need to put boarders in? is there defentions in the help pages
for the diffrent types of default borders such as ansi a or ansi b. i dont know
the diffrences between these diffrents page views.not being a draft person it appears
that most prints are printed in wide format ex. 11 by 8.5 instead of 8.5 by 11.
and i wonder if that could be giving me some trouble. still trying hard to get through
this basic stuff .i can see that the program can be helpful and easy to use i think
most of my problems are just procedural. this is not a program for beginners , a
lot more attion to the baby steps in the tutorial would be helpful thanks for being
there but i feel bad borthering you guys with my basic questions. thanks
5 REPLIES

Re: drawing area set up comand


Ken,
No need to apologize for the questions. That's what this forum is for.
You don't have to put a border on the 2D model page if you don't want to. I have
never put one on the 2D model page. I'm sure there are some instances where it would
be useful but I haven't seen a need for it yet. I'll let the experts explain why
you might want a border on your 2D model page.
Ed

"ken lynn" wrote:
>
>alright im making some progress but i still dont have a good referance for
>where
>im at when im drawing.the drawing area set up asks me to create a border so
>that
>my drawing comes out at 1 to 1 but i dont know how to achieve this. i belive
>in
>my 2d model view default page is an infinite space because i cant find any
>predefined
>borders.why do i need to put boarders in? is there defentions in the help
>pages
>for the diffrent types of default borders such as ansi a or ansi b. i dont
>know
>the diffrences between these diffrents page views.not being a draft person
>it appears
>that most prints are printed in wide format ex. 11 by 8.5 instead of 8.5 by
>11.
>and i wonder if that could be giving me some trouble. still trying hard to
>get through
>this basic stuff .i can see that the program can be helpful and easy to use
> i think
>most of my problems are just procedural. this is not a program for beginners
>, a
>lot more attion to the baby steps in the tutorial would be helpful thanks
>for being
>there but i feel bad borthering you guys with my basic questions. thanks

Re: drawing area set up comand

Ken,
No questions are basic questions. All questions can be answered.
Yes, 2D Model is an endless drawing space. If all you need to do is to draw
simple geometry and then print what you draw, then you may not need drawing
borders. If you actually need to produce a drawing that will be used for
manufacturing, you most likely will need a drawing border. This is standard
drawing practice.
When you draw in Solid Edge, the geometry is drawn at 1:1 scale. Drawing
area setup helps you to apply the drawing related border to your existing
geometry. In this case the borders are blocks. There is a library of blocks
delivered with the software. See the "Sample Blocks" folder in the product
folder. There is a "TitleBlocks.dft" file in that folder that has sample
drawing borders defined as blocks. This file is what the Drawing Area Setup
is looking for, unless you have defined you own. Each drawing border block
is based on a standard drawing size. Drawing Area Setup will scale the
border up to fit around your geometry. Again, geometry is 1:1 scale. When
you print, you use print area. Use the indicators in the upper right and
lower left corners of the sheet border block. You print to that specific
size paper and you have a drawing. This is a workflow for those who only
want to work in 2D Model.
Another workflow is to draw your geometry in 2D Model and then place 2D
Model Views of your geometry on a working sheet (Sheet1). In this case the
border is already defined on the sheet. You place the views of your geometry
at whatever scale you need to fit them on the sheet.
Regards,
Rick B.

Re: drawing area set up comand


"Ricky Black" wrote:
>Ken,
>No questions are basic questions. All questions can be answered.
>
>Yes, 2D Model is an endless drawing space. If all you need to do is to draw
>
>simple geometry and then print what you draw, then you may not need drawing
>
>borders. If you actually need to produce a drawing that will be used for
>manufacturing, you most likely will need a drawing border. This is standard
>
>drawing practice.
>
>When you draw in Solid Edge, the geometry is drawn at 1:1 scale. Drawing
>area setup helps you to apply the drawing related border to your existing
>
>geometry. In this case the borders are blocks. There is a library of blocks
>
>delivered with the software. See the "Sample Blocks" folder in the product
>
>folder. There is a "TitleBlocks.dft" file in that folder that has sample
>drawing borders defined as blocks. This file is what the Drawing Area Setup
>
>is looking for, unless you have defined you own. Each drawing border block
>
>is based on a standard drawing size. Drawing Area Setup will scale the
>border up to fit around your geometry. Again, geometry is 1:1 scale. When
>
>you print, you use print area. Use the indicators in the upper right and
>lower left corners of the sheet border block. You print to that specific
>size paper and you have a drawing. This is a workflow for those who only
>want to work in 2D Model.
>
>Another workflow is to draw your geometry in 2D Model and then place 2D
>Model Views of your geometry on a working sheet (Sheet1). In this case the
>
>border is already defined on the sheet. You place the views of your geometry
>
>at whatever scale you need to fit them on the sheet.
>
>Regards,
>Rick B.
>
>

i did some research and found out the paper size for the default blocks.now when
i open the program and the default sheet size says it is a d size is it truly representing
a page size of 22 by 34? when i use the fit size command for my screen and then
draw a line it comes out on my screen when measured with a ruler at one third scale.
this makes sence because the whole page measures 10.5 by 7 or roughly one third
of 22 by 34. if i change my model view to a ansi A and place it on the model view
page and then ask it to fit my screen it comes out very close to 8.5 by 11 and my
geometry measures correctly. if i draw a line and smart diminsion it at two inches
on my screen it measures two inches with a ruler. this all seems very convoluted
but it seems to make sence. i dont believe this is getting me where i need to go
yet but im trying to pull together things as i understand them. i want to set up
this program to use in my shop so i need to get to where i can use all aspects of
the tool. so setting up pages with borders is probably the way i should go. since
i may be sending coustumers files as well as recieving files that i will need to
work with.is their a reason why the default sheet page is an ansi D size

Re: drawing area set up comand


"ken lynn" wrote:
>
>"Ricky Black" wrote:
>>Ken,
>>No questions are basic questions. All questions can be answered.
>>
>>Yes, 2D Model is an endless drawing space. If all you need to do is to draw
>>
>>simple geometry and then print what you draw, then you may not need drawing
>>
>>borders. If you actually need to produce a drawing that will be used for

>
>>manufacturing, you most likely will need a drawing border. This is standard
>>
>>drawing practice.
>>
>>When you draw in Solid Edge, the geometry is drawn at 1:1 scale. Drawing

>
>>area setup helps you to apply the drawing related border to your existing
>>
>>geometry. In this case the borders are blocks. There is a library of blocks
>>
>>delivered with the software. See the "Sample Blocks" folder in the product
>>
>>folder. There is a "TitleBlocks.dft" file in that folder that has sample

>
>>drawing borders defined as blocks. This file is what the Drawing Area Setup
>>
>>is looking for, unless you have defined you own. Each drawing border block
>>
>>is based on a standard drawing size. Drawing Area Setup will scale the
>>border up to fit around your geometry. Again, geometry is 1:1 scale. When
>>
>>you print, you use print area. Use the indicators in the upper right and

>
>>lower left corners of the sheet border block. You print to that specific

>
>>size paper and you have a drawing. This is a workflow for those who only

>
>>want to work in 2D Model.
>>
>>Another workflow is to draw your geometry in 2D Model and then place 2D
>>Model Views of your geometry on a working sheet (Sheet1). In this case the
>>
>>border is already defined on the sheet. You place the views of your geometry
>>
>>at whatever scale you need to fit them on the sheet.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Rick B.
>>
>>

>i did some research and found out the paper size for the default blocks.now
>when
>i open the program and the default sheet size says it is a d size is it truly
>representing
>a page size of 22 by 34? when i use the fit size command for my screen and
>then
>draw a line it comes out on my screen when measured with a ruler at one third
>scale.
>this makes sence because the whole page measures 10.5 by 7 or roughly one
>third
>of 22 by 34. if i change my model view to a ansi A and place it on the model
>view
>page and then ask it to fit my screen it comes out very close to 8.5 by 11
>and my
>geometry measures correctly. if i draw a line and smart diminsion it at
>two inches
>on my screen it measures two inches with a ruler. this all seems very convoluted
>but it seems to make sence. i dont believe this is getting me where i need
>to go
>yet but im trying to pull together things as i understand them. i want to
>set up
>this program to use in my shop so i need to get to where i can use all aspects
>of
>the tool. so setting up pages with borders is probably the way i should go.
>since
>i may be sending coustumers files as well as recieving files that i will need
>to
>work with.is their a reason why the default sheet page is an ansi D size

Re: drawing area set up comand

Ken,
You cannot measure distances on the screen using a ruler. Think about it. If
you fit all the geometry on different screen sizes, the distance measured
with a ruler will be different for each screen size. For example the
geometry fit on a 15 in. monitor will not measure the same as the same
geometry fit on a 19 in. monitor.
Why do you feel the need to measure distances on the screen? When you print
to paper, the geometry can be measured with a ruler as long as you print at
1:1 scale. Screen size and paper size have nothing to do with eachother.
Regards,
Rick B.