drawing to scale

I am using the free 2D software, and I want to draw a large scale layout. Normally I would use a scale rule when manually draughting. I have tried the various scaling methods available ie : sheet scale etc, but I cannot get a scaled drawing. I am trying to draw at 1 : 20 scale. Any advice on this ?
6 REPLIES

Re: drawing to scale

You will have to change your way of thinking. You don't draw geometry at a specific scale just to have it fit on a piece of paper. Why would you draw a car the size of a model car because of what you will print it on? Use 2D Model for the geometry. You draw in 2D Model at 1:1 scale. Then on your working sheet (Sheet1) place a 2D Model view of the geometry in 2D Model. You place the view at whatever scale you need. In this case at 1:20 scale. This makes it easier to work with your geometry because it is always full size. The model, your geometry, is always at 1:1 scale. The 2D Model view lets you present your model, the geometry, on your drawing at whateer scale you need. You can actually place many 2D Model views and detail views and at different scales.

Regards,
Rick B.

I've had trouble with this too, thanks for shedding light on the problem!

ONe other thing tho, how do i transfer a drawing from the 2D Model over to say the A3 sheet?

[ Edited ]

ikr88 wrote:

I've had trouble with this too, thanks for shedding light on the problem!

ONe other thing tho, how do i transfer a drawing from the 2D Model over to say the A3 sheet?

Hi there,

If you double click [or right-click] on the the working sheet to get to "Sheet Setup...", you can choose which background sheet [& custom sheets] to use.

Then, on the "Tables" tab, in the "Drawing Views" group, there are two very handy tools there, one for creating your views derived from the 2D Model, and then another for detail views....I suggest right-clicking on each of these and adding them to the Quick Access Toolbar, just for ease of use.

[Attached] I have thrown a rough 2D drawing [ST7] together to show an A2 & A3 sheet setup in practice.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

thankyou, have got it now!

although the attached drawing you sent wouldn't open, i've attached a screen shot of the error...

cheers.

Yeah, that error is because the file I created was in ST7.....I don't have any of our workshop systems on ST6 anymore, sorry.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

thats ok, no problem .
thanks anyway.