driving vs driven dimensions

N/A
I keep clicking the driving/driven dimension button in the dimensioning
tool bar in the ribbon when trying to make dimensions but solid edge
keeps producing driven dimensions instead of driving dimensions when I
create them. which way should the button be (selected or deselected for
driving dimensions) and why does it seem to randomly give me a driven
dimension regardless of which one is selected?
3 REPLIES

Re: driving vs driven dimensions

N/A
Mike.
The button should be IN to create driving demensions.
Also, make sure that "Maintain Relationships" is checked in the Tools menu.
--
Neil Menne
Sr. CAD Designer
Lochinvar Corporation
300 Maddox Simpson Parkway
Lebanon, TN 37090
Phone: (615)-889-8901 Ext: 2233
Fax: (615)-882-2962
Email: nmenne@lochinvar.com

"Mike Gillespie" wrote in message
news:470d3a16@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>I keep clicking the driving/driven dimension button in the dimensioning
>tool bar in the ribbon when trying to make dimensions but solid edge keeps
>producing driven dimensions instead of driving dimensions when I create
>them. which way should the button be (selected or deselected for driving
>dimensions) and why does it seem to randomly give me a driven dimension
>regardless of which one is selected?


Re: driving vs driven dimensions

N/A
thanks! those are the settings I used. I'm not having the problem today
so far however.
another semi-related question though, when using driving dimensions when
I define the dimension I want between say two otherwise unconstrained
lines, how can I define which one is the one which moves?
Neil Menne wrote:
> Mike.
>
> The button should be IN to create driving dimensions.
>
> Also, make sure that "Maintain Relationships" is checked in the Tools menu.

Re: driving vs driven dimensions

N/A
There is a lock relationship (on the Relationships toolbar) that can be
placed on the line or on an endpoint of the line. If placed on the line, it
cannot change location/orientation/length. If placed on the endpoint, the
endpoint cannot change location.
--
Ken
http://grundey.blogspot.com
"Mike Gillespie" wrote in message
news:470e60b8$2@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
> thanks! those are the settings I used. I'm not having the problem today so
> far however.
>
> another semi-related question though, when using driving dimensions when I
> define the dimension I want between say two otherwise unconstrained lines,
> how can I define which one is the one which moves?
>
> Neil Menne wrote:
>> Mike.
>>
>> The button should be IN to create driving dimensions.
>>
>> Also, make sure that "Maintain Relationships" is checked in the Tools
>> menu.