making dimensions equal

N/A

New user--will ask lots of dumb questions.
When I attempt to make two dimensions equal, whether or not either is locked, I'm
unable to select the dimensions. Select will highlight any of the geometry elements
I pass over, but won't highlight dimensions.
When I attempted to search the newsgroup for articles on "making dimensions equal",
all that was returned were the 4 basic boxes (new articles, etc.), and clicking
on any of those simply returned the complete newsgroup
Also, how does one change basic units from metric to English?
Thanks,
1 REPLY

Re: making dimensions equal

N/A

Jim,
I'm going to shoot from the hip here and assume that 2D Drafting works the same
as the full Solid Edge product to answer these questions:
First, in order to make two dimensions equal, you need to make sure Maintain Relationships
is turned on on the Tools tab before placing the dimensions. The button should
looked "pushed in" and sort of an orange color. Then, after you place the dimensions,
once again from the Tools tab, go to the Variable Table. You will see several columns
including Name, Value and Formula. The names will be something like V175 and V176,
for example. If I want V176 to always be the same as V175, then I can go into the
Formula field for the variable V176 and key in V175. This will gray out the value
field next to V176 and set its value equal to V175. The Equality command you selected
is for setting a geometric relationship of equality. It will set two lines to the
same length or set two arcs/circles to the same radius. Once again Maintain Relationships
must be turned on for this to persist.
As far as changing units, there are two places you need to be concerned about.
One has to do with the file itself and will control the storing and readout of values
in the various fields throughout the product. This is controlled by the File Properties.
Go to the Application Button at the top left of the window and select Properties->File
Properties. Go to the Units tab and change the different readouts shown there.
The Dimensions are controlled by a different setting. Go to the View tab and select
the Styles button. This will bring up the Styles dialog and allow you to change
all of the different styles defined in the file. From the Style type at the top
left, select Dimension, then select the Style you want to use from the list and
click Modify. Go to the Units tab to change the units to whatever you want, click
OK, then click Apply. In your case, though, you could simply Go to the Style dialog,
select ANSI and click Apply and this will set that style as the active style.
The above changes are stored in the active document so if you want to make the change
so that all future files use it, you need to make the changes in the template file.
All of this is contriolled by what standard you select on the installation dialog.
When you load the product, there is a field on the dialog which allows you to select
what Standard you wish to use. It defaults to ISO, but there are several of the
most popularly recognized drafting standards, such as BSI, JIS, ANSI, etc.
Hope this helps.
Andy
"Jim Sweeney" wrote:
>
>New user--will ask lots of dumb questions.
>When I attempt to make two dimensions equal, whether or not either is locked,
>I'm
>unable to select the dimensions. Select will highlight any of the geometry
>elements
>I pass over, but won't highlight dimensions.
>When I attempted to search the newsgroup for articles on "making dimensions
>equal",
>all that was returned were the 4 basic boxes (new articles, etc.), and clicking
>on any of those simply returned the complete newsgroup
>
>Also, how does one change basic units from metric to English?
>
>Thanks,

Andy