Reply

mouse wheel zoom


what is with the inability for mousewheel zoom like every other cad program
or not being able to assign 1 letter commands(not pushing ctrl or alt )
or the crazy select tool.am i missing somthing here?
14 REPLIES

Re: mouse wheel zoom


Terry,
You must uncheck the horizontal and vertical scroll bar options under "View" in
the Solid Edge Options. See attached image.
Ed
"phantom" wrote:
>
>what is with the inability for mousewheel zoom like every other cad program
>or not being able to assign 1 letter commands(not pushing ctrl or alt )
>or the crazy select tool.am i missing somthing here?
>

Re: mouse wheel zoom


"Ed Kadlec" wrote:
>
>
>
>Terry,
>
>You must uncheck the horizontal and vertical scroll bar options under "View"
>in
>the Solid Edge Options. See attached image.
>
>Ed
>
>"phantom" wrote:
>>
>>what is with the inability for mousewheel zoom like every other cad program
>>or not being able to assign 1 letter commands(not pushing ctrl or alt )
>>or the crazy select tool.am i missing somthing here?
>>

>
Thanks Ed,
it works now but reverse of what im used to(forward should zoom
in)
ill try to change my mouse?
i use a few cad programs and it is second nature to navigate this way
to me,
imagine swapping position of your brake and gas pedal in your car after driving
25 yrs.
while im dreaming,i wish i could lock the select options to inside and touching.
every time i grab an object it will select outside my fence or only in
im probably rolling the mouse trying to zoom and its changing??

Re: mouse wheel zoom


Terry,
Yes, the mouse wheel zoom feature is certainly not implemented as well as it should
be. The option to disable dimension changes with the mouse wheel does not work so
you will end up turning the mouse wheel expecting to zoom and you will actually
be changing the dimension. I sure hope they fix that bug in the next version of
the software. It would be nice if you could make the mouse wheel do only zooming
and nothing else. I zoom a whole lot more than any other activity when I'm creating
a CAD drawing.
Ed
wrote:
>
>"Ed Kadlec" wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>Terry,
>>
>>You must uncheck the horizontal and vertical scroll bar options under "View"
>>in
>>the Solid Edge Options. See attached image.
>>
>>Ed
>>
>>"phantom" wrote:
>>>
>>>what is with the inability for mousewheel zoom like every other cad program
>>>or not being able to assign 1 letter commands(not pushing ctrl or alt )
>>>or the crazy select tool.am i missing somthing here?
>>>

>>
>Thanks Ed,
>it works now but reverse of what im used to(forward should zoom
>in)
>ill try to change my mouse?
>i use a few cad programs and it is second nature to navigate this way
>to me,
>imagine swapping position of your brake and gas pedal in your car after driving
>25 yrs.
>while im dreaming,i wish i could lock the select options to inside and touching.
>every time i grab an object it will select outside my fence or only in
>im probably rolling the mouse trying to zoom and its changing??
>

Re: mouse wheel zoom

Different programs handle scroll zooming differently. The key is to
consider zoom as if you are manipulating the drawing sheet with your hands.
You are either pulling the drawing sheet towards you (scroll backwards) or
pushing it away from you (scroll forwards). This is carry over from the 3D
portion of Solid Edge where you envision maniuplating the model in your
hands by pushing it or pulling it.
Sounds like you are used to the camera method where you are moving the
camera backwards (away from the drawing sheet) or forwards (closer to the
drawing sheet)
Think of it this way helps me switch between programs.
David

>>>

>>
> Thanks Ed,
> it works now but reverse of what im used to(forward should zoom
> in)
> ill try to change my mouse?
> i use a few cad programs and it is second nature to navigate this way
> to me,
> imagine swapping position of your brake and gas pedal in your car after
> driving
> 25 yrs.
> while im dreaming,i wish i could lock the select options to inside and
> touching.
> every time i grab an object it will select outside my fence or only in
> im probably rolling the mouse trying to zoom and its changing??
>

Re: mouse wheel zoom

"Ed Kadlec" wrote:
>
>
>
>Terry,
>
>You must uncheck the horizontal and vertical scroll bar options under "View"
>in
>the Solid Edge Options. See attached image.
>
>Ed



hi,

i don't see an attached image... where are the horizontal and vertical scroll bar options at? i am not seeing anything under 'view'

thanks, dennis

Re: mouse wheel zoom

[ Edited ]

Dennis,
See attached image.
Ed
DennisGroom@gmail.com wrote:

>>
>> hi,
>>
>> i don't see an attached image... where are the horizontal and vertical
>> scroll bar options at? i am not seeing anything under 'view'
>>
>> thanks, dennis

>
>
>--
>DennisGroom@gmail.com
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>DennisGroom@gmail.com's Profile: http://bbsnotes.ugs.com/vbulletin/member.php?userid=192899
>View this thread: http://bbsnotes.ugs.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20343
>

Re: mouse wheel zoom

[ Edited ]
Dennis,

See attached image.

Ed


Ed,

How did you get this menu? The latest Solid Edge Free2D (downloaded in January 2010) offers only the following items in the Solid Edge Options window (see the attachment):
- Save
- File Locations
- User Profile
- Helpers

There is no "View" item to configure. :smileysad:

Re: mouse wheel zoom

You only get the fill list when a Draft file is open.
The list you see is without a document open.
Regards,
Rick B.

Re: mouse wheel zoom

Thank you, Rick.
It was hard to guess that supposed-to-be-global (by common sense) options are not global and for whatever reason associated to every draft file. It was even harder to figure out how to get access to those options when draft file is opened. Eventially I reached them via Command Finder, and without your tip I would not have a clue.