Reply

placing picture from model view to sheet


i can not place a object i have drawn in model view to the sheet view for printing.
i have never used drafting software before. not really sure what i am doing. working
hard and getting nowhere fast. not real sure about the work flow procedure. i would
like to draw some parts up,diminsion and then print with 8.5 by 11. pretty simple
stuff but having a hard time getting started. tutorial was not a problem but dose
not start from the very beginning of how to approch the task.
18 REPLIES

Re: placing picture from model view to sheet


Ken,
Go to your sheet page and click on the "Home" tab then click on the "2D Model" button.
See image in attached zip file.
You will be taken to the model page. Select the drawing elements you want displayed
on the sheet page. See image in attached zip file.
You will be taken back to the sheet page where you can place the drawing on the
sheet. See image in attached zip file.
You can scale the drawing so it fits the sheet either while you are placing it or
after you've placed it. Be aware that if you want to exit the model page without
selecting anything you must click on the "Cancel 2D Model View" button to exit otherwise
your file may get corrupted. This is a known bug that will be fixed in the next
version.
I couldn't seem to attach more than one image to the post so I zipped them in a
file instead.
Hope this helps some.
Ed

"ken lynn" wrote:
>
> i can not place a object i have drawn in model view to the sheet view for
>printing.
>i have never used drafting software before. not really sure what i am doing.
>working
>hard and getting nowhere fast. not real sure about the work flow procedure.
>i would
>like to draw some parts up,diminsion and then print with 8.5 by 11. pretty
>simple
>stuff but having a hard time getting started. tutorial was not a problem but
>dose
>not start from the very beginning of how to approch the task.

Re: placing picture from model view to sheet


"Ed Kadlec" wrote:
>
>
>
>Ken,
>
>Go to your sheet page and click on the "Home" tab then click on the "2D Model"
>button.
>See image in attached zip file.
>You will be taken to the model page. Select the drawing elements you want
>displayed
>on the sheet page. See image in attached zip file.
>You will be taken back to the sheet page where you can place the drawing on
>the
>sheet. See image in attached zip file.
>You can scale the drawing so it fits the sheet either while you are placing
>it or
>after you've placed it. Be aware that if you want to exit the model page without
>selecting anything you must click on the "Cancel 2D Model View" button to
>exit otherwise
>your file may get corrupted. This is a known bug that will be fixed in the
>next
>version.
>
>I couldn't seem to attach more than one image to the post so I zipped them
>in a
>file instead.
>Hope this helps some.
>
>Ed
>
>
>"ken lynn" wrote:
>>
>> i can not place a object i have drawn in model view to the sheet view for
>>printing.
>>i have never used drafting software before. not really sure what i am doing.
>>working
>>hard and getting nowhere fast. not real sure about the work flow procedure.
>>i would
>>like to draw some parts up,diminsion and then print with 8.5 by 11. pretty
>>simple
>>stuff but having a hard time getting started. tutorial was not a problem

>but
>>dose
>>not start from the very beginning of how to approch the task.

>
thanks for trying ed but im not close to understandig the process you used to get
the pages you sent me.ill walk you through what i am doing .i open the program.i
click on create 2d drawing this takes me to a page that has a outline for a typical
drawing that is about 5.5 by 8.5 the bottom tab says sheet 1. I than ckick on 2d
model says create a view of 2d model geometry.i am prompted that geometry mustexit
on 2d model sheet before this comand can create a view. do you want to swtich yes
or no i see that i have no choise so i click yes.the program takes me the model
view page.2d tab is active sheet tab is off.the left side of my scree dose not have
any options for scaling like the page you have sent me ive read about it but have
not been able to bring it up.now on the model page i select to make a line i type
in 2 inches click enter and a line appers that is only about .625 long if i try
to dimminison this line the program tells me that the line is 2 inches long. i
than pull a box around the very short line click on the sheet page and place
the line then i print the page on 8.5 by 11 the print says 2 inches but the line
is only .625 long i mybe getting cofused about setting up the page for scaling.
thanks

Re: placing picture from model view to sheet


Ken,
Can you send us the file you are working with? That will help in answering a few
things, especially the .625" line problem.
Ed

>thanks for trying ed but im not close to understandig the process you used
>to get
>the pages you sent me.ill walk you through what i am doing .i open the program.i
>click on create 2d drawing this takes me to a page that has a outline for
>a typical
>drawing that is about 5.5 by 8.5 the bottom tab says sheet 1. I than ckick
>on 2d
>model says create a view of 2d model geometry.i am prompted that geometry
>mustexit
>on 2d model sheet before this comand can create a view. do you want to swtich
>yes
>or no i see that i have no choise so i click yes.the program takes me the
>model
>view page.2d tab is active sheet tab is off.the left side of my scree dose
>not have
>any options for scaling like the page you have sent me ive read about it but
>have
>not been able to bring it up.now on the model page i select to make a line
> i type
>in 2 inches click enter and a line appers that is only about .625 long if
>i try
>to dimminison this line the program tells me that the line is 2 inches long.
> i
>than pull a box around the very short line click on the sheet page and
>place
>the line then i print the page on 8.5 by 11 the print says 2 inches but the
>line
>is only .625 long i mybe getting cofused about setting up the page for scaling.
>thanks

Re: placing picture from model view to sheet

Ken,
Workflows for creating drawings in 2D Drafting can start simple and then get
more complex as you learn the system. I suggest you start simple.
Reading through this thread, it sounds like you are confused by zoom scale
and drawing. Just because you draw a line that is 1 in. long does not mean
that it displays one inch long. A 1 in. line will display longer or shorter
if you zoom in or out, but it will still be a 1 in. line. If you place a
dimension on the line it will be 1 in. you can change the value of the
dimension to control the length of the line.
You do not scale the geometry based on the size of the sheet you waht it to
fit on.. What I mean by that is that you always draw geometry the actual
size or at 1:1 scale.
Starting simple - Every draft file has working sheets. Look at the Sheets
tray at the bottom. You will see a working sheet tab. In English it is
called Sheet1. You can change the size of the sheet by right mouse click on
the sheet tab and click on Sheet Setup in the command list. Any geometry you
place on a working sheet will be placed at actual size. The 1 in. line will
be 1 in. on the working sheet.
Now lets discuss a little bit about printing. You can specify a large sheet
size, for example D Wide which is 34 in. X 22 in. You draw geometry at 1:1
scale on that sheet. Now you want to print and all you have is 8.5 in. X 11
in. paper. When you print the large drawing on smaller paper, the printer
will scale down to the size paper that you print on. A 1 in. line will not
be printed as 1 in. If you print on a D size sheet of paper, the 1 in. line
will measure 1 in. The dimension will read 1 in. regardless of the paper
size. Printing will not change the dimension values.
More complex workflow - Maybe you need to draw a large frame that does not
fit on the sheet that you need to put it on. This is where 2D Model comes
into play. 2D Model is an endless 2D Drawing space. You can draw as much
geometry there as you would ever need. All this geometry is still placed at
1:1 scale. Call this your model. It is actual size.
Now you need to place drawing views of your model on a sheet so that you
create a drawing to print. You go to the working sheet. You define the size
of the working sheet. Now you place 2D Model Views on the working sheet.
When you place these views, you specify the scale you want them to be
displayed on the working sheet. When you place the 2D Model view you will
also select the range of the geometry that you want to see in the view you
are placing. You can place as many views of your model as you would like to
see on the working sheet. Even though the geometry is scaled relative to the
actual size, any dimension you place on the geometry on the working sheet
will show the actual model value. Now when you print, the sheet will still
be printed to paper of the same size as the sheet size. Any 2D Model views
will print at the scale you created them.
I know that this is a brief description, but maybe it will help you get
started.
Regards,
Rick B.


"ken lynn" wrote in message
news:49dcfddd$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> i can not place a object i have drawn in model view to the sheet view for
> printing.
> i have never used drafting software before. not really sure what i am
> doing. working
> hard and getting nowhere fast. not real sure about the work flow
> procedure. i would
> like to draw some parts up,diminsion and then print with 8.5 by 11. pretty
> simple
> stuff but having a hard time getting started. tutorial was not a problem
> but dose
> not start from the very beginning of how to approch the task.


Re: placing picture from model view to sheet


"ken lynn" wrote:
>
>"Ed Kadlec" wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>Ken,
>>
>>Go to your sheet page and click on the "Home" tab then click on the "2D Model"
>>button.
>>See image in attached zip file.
>>You will be taken to the model page. Select the drawing elements you want
>>displayed
>>on the sheet page. See image in attached zip file.
>>You will be taken back to the sheet page where you can place the drawing

>on
>>the
>>sheet. See image in attached zip file.
>>You can scale the drawing so it fits the sheet either while you are placing
>>it or
>>after you've placed it. Be aware that if you want to exit the model page

>without
>>selecting anything you must click on the "Cancel 2D Model View" button to
>>exit otherwise
>>your file may get corrupted. This is a known bug that will be fixed in the
>>next
>>version.
>>
>>I couldn't seem to attach more than one image to the post so I zipped them
>>in a
>>file instead.
>>Hope this helps some.
>>
>>Ed
>>
>>
>>"ken lynn" wrote:
>>>
>>> i can not place a object i have drawn in model view to the sheet view for
>>>printing.
>>>i have never used drafting software before. not really sure what i am doing.
>>>working
>>>hard and getting nowhere fast. not real sure about the work flow procedure.
>>>i would
>>>like to draw some parts up,diminsion and then print with 8.5 by 11. pretty
>>>simple
>>>stuff but having a hard time getting started. tutorial was not a problem

>>but
>>>dose
>>>not start from the very beginning of how to approch the task.

>>
>thanks for trying ed but im not close to understandig the process you used
>to get
>the pages you sent me.ill walk you through what i am doing .i open the program.i
>click on create 2d drawing this takes me to a page that has a outline for
>a typical
>drawing that is about 5.5 by 8.5 the bottom tab says sheet 1. I than ckick
>on 2d
>model says create a view of 2d model geometry.i am prompted that geometry
>mustexit
>on 2d model sheet before this comand can create a view. do you want to swtich
>yes
>or no i see that i have no choise so i click yes.the program takes me the
>model
>view page.2d tab is active sheet tab is off.the left side of my scree dose
>not have
>any options for scaling like the page you have sent me ive read about it but
>have
>not been able to bring it up.now on the model page i select to make a line
> i type
>in 2 inches click enter and a line appers that is only about .625 long if
>i try
>to dimminison this line the program tells me that the line is 2 inches long.
> i
>than pull a box around the very short line click on the sheet page and
>place
>the line then i print the page on 8.5 by 11 the print says 2 inches but the
>line
>is only .625 long i mybe getting cofused about setting up the page for scaling.
>thanks
tried to send you pages dont think they went through so i sent them to your personal
email sorry.

Re: placing picture from model view to sheet


"Ricky Black" wrote:
>Ken,
>Workflows for creating drawings in 2D Drafting can start simple and then get
>
>more complex as you learn the system. I suggest you start simple.
>
>Reading through this thread, it sounds like you are confused by zoom scale
>
>and drawing. Just because you draw a line that is 1 in. long does not mean
>
>that it displays one inch long. A 1 in. line will display longer or shorter
>
>if you zoom in or out, but it will still be a 1 in. line. If you place a
>dimension on the line it will be 1 in. you can change the value of the
>dimension to control the length of the line.
>
>You do not scale the geometry based on the size of the sheet you waht it to
>
>fit on.. What I mean by that is that you always draw geometry the actual
>size or at 1:1 scale.
>
>Starting simple - Every draft file has working sheets. Look at the Sheets
>
>tray at the bottom. You will see a working sheet tab. In English it is
>called Sheet1. You can change the size of the sheet by right mouse click on
>
>the sheet tab and click on Sheet Setup in the command list. Any geometry you
>
>place on a working sheet will be placed at actual size. The 1 in. line will
>
>be 1 in. on the working sheet.
>
>Now lets discuss a little bit about printing. You can specify a large sheet
>
>size, for example D Wide which is 34 in. X 22 in. You draw geometry at 1:1
>
>scale on that sheet. Now you want to print and all you have is 8.5 in. X 11
>
>in. paper. When you print the large drawing on smaller paper, the printer
>
>will scale down to the size paper that you print on. A 1 in. line will not
>
>be printed as 1 in. If you print on a D size sheet of paper, the 1 in. line
>
>will measure 1 in. The dimension will read 1 in. regardless of the paper
>size. Printing will not change the dimension values.
>
>More complex workflow - Maybe you need to draw a large frame that does not
>
>fit on the sheet that you need to put it on. This is where 2D Model comes
>
>into play. 2D Model is an endless 2D Drawing space. You can draw as much
>geometry there as you would ever need. All this geometry is still placed at
>
>1:1 scale. Call this your model. It is actual size.
>
>Now you need to place drawing views of your model on a sheet so that you
>create a drawing to print. You go to the working sheet. You define the size
>
>of the working sheet. Now you place 2D Model Views on the working sheet.
>When you place these views, you specify the scale you want them to be
>displayed on the working sheet. When you place the 2D Model view you will
>
>also select the range of the geometry that you want to see in the view you
>
>are placing. You can place as many views of your model as you would like to
>
>see on the working sheet. Even though the geometry is scaled relative to the
>
>actual size, any dimension you place on the geometry on the working sheet
>
>will show the actual model value. Now when you print, the sheet will still
>
>be printed to paper of the same size as the sheet size. Any 2D Model views
>
>will print at the scale you created them.
>
>I know that this is a brief description, but maybe it will help you get
>started.
>
>Regards,
>Rick B.
>
>
>
>
>"ken lynn" wrote in message
>news:49dcfddd$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>>
>> i can not place a object i have drawn in model view to the sheet view for

>
>> printing.
>> i have never used drafting software before. not really sure what i am
>> doing. working
>> hard and getting nowhere fast. not real sure about the work flow
>> procedure. i would
>> like to draw some parts up,diminsion and then print with 8.5 by 11. pretty

>
>> simple
>> stuff but having a hard time getting started. tutorial was not a problem

>
>> but dose
>> not start from the very beginning of how to approch the task.

>
>
i have never comuncatied on a thread like this before .i was sending a replie to
ed at the same time you were sending me this one the one i posted to ed dose not
appear on the thread do not know if he recievd it. it had the screen pictures that
i was recieving. i cant find them anywhere on this thread so i sent them to eds
email i dont know if they made it through.

Re: placing picture from model view to sheet


Ken,
I never got the email from you.
Ed
"ken lynn" wrote:

>tried to send you pages dont think they went through so i sent them to your
>personal
>email sorry.

Need more explanation

A late followup-

Ricky Black's explanation is a good one, but I, and probably others, need some explicit instructions on how to get from a 1:1 drawing to a scaled drawing on a piece of paper.

He says:

Now you need to place drawing views of your model on a sheet so that you
create a drawing to print. You go to the working sheet. You define the size
of the working sheet.

OKay, I know how to do this much---

Now you place 2D Model Views on the working sheet.

How do you do this? Copy and paste? Something else? I've tried copy and paste and get a 1:1 drawing on the working sheet and I can see no way to change the size of this drawing.

When you place these views, you specify the scale you want them to be
displayed on the working sheet. When you place the 2D Model view you will
also select the range of the geometry that you want to see in the view you
are placing. You can place as many views of your model as you would like to
see on the working sheet. Even though the geometry is scaled relative to the
actual size, any dimension you place on the geometry on the working sheet
will show the actual model value. Now when you print, the sheet will still
be printed to paper of the same size as the sheet size.

How is this done? Which buttons, which menu, etc...

Re: placing picture from model view to sheet


Once on the working sheet, click on the "Home" tab and then lick on the "2D Model"
button. That will take you back to the model sheet where you can select the parts
of the drawing that you want to appear on the working sheet. See attached image.
Hope this helps.
Ed
kenneous@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>A late followup-
>
>Ricky Black's explanation is a good one, but I, and probably others,
>need some explicit instructions on how to get from a 1:1 drawing to a
>scaled drawing on a piece of paper.
>
>He says:
>-
>Now you need to place drawing views of your model on a sheet so that
>you
>create a drawing to print. You go to the working sheet. You define the
>size
>of the working sheet. -
>OKay, I know how to do this much---
>-
>Now you place 2D Model Views on the working sheet.-
>How do you do this? Copy and paste? Something else? I've tried copy
>and paste and get a 1:1 drawing on the working sheet and I can see no
>way to change the size of this drawing.
>
>-When you place these views, you specify the scale you want them to be
>displayed on the working sheet. When you place the 2D Model view you
>will
>also select the range of the geometry that you want to see in the view
>you
>are placing. You can place as many views of your model as you would
>like to
>see on the working sheet. Even though the geometry is scaled relative
>to the
>actual size, any dimension you place on the geometry on the working
>sheet
>will show the actual model value. Now when you print, the sheet will
>still
>be printed to paper of the same size as the sheet size. -
>How is this done? Which buttons, which menu, etc...
>
>
>--
>kenneous@yahoo.com