A Stronger Solid Edge: What Would it Mean to You?

by MLombard on ‎02-26-2014 11:27 AM (1,322 Views)

Sometimes I hear people wishing that the Solid Edge product had a stronger position in the market. Sometimes that's just in conjunction with wishing for more business, and sometimes it's used as an excuse for staying away. 

I think there's a consensus that the Solid Edge product is pretty strong. Sure there are little things that each of us would change, but it doesn't seem to be technical issues that are holding the brand back. And that's why most of us have chosen it, I think. Because the software does what it's supposed to do, it's very stable compared to other products out there, and the development is headed in a positive direction.

So, what would a Solid Edge with a stronger market position mean to you? What would you do if Solid Edge had the most customers of any CAD program? How would that affect your business? This situation would obviously benefit most users. Now think about what you can do to help. I might be bias a little bit, but supporting the community is something that comes to mind.

Other related things to think about include what amount of your current business comes from (or goes to) a different CAD program?

To some extent these questions are rhetorical, but if you want to venture an answer, please do so in the comments. My real point here, though, is to present some ideas for things that as customers, you can do to build the general awareness of Solid Edge.

Customers really do effect the way a product is perceived. There are several things we as end users can do to crank up the awareness of Solid Edge, which will create indirect benefits for businesses that use this software.

• participate in social media - professional marketers are one thing, but when the CAD buying public hears users making a big deal about their software, they do pay attention
  • get visual - communicating what you have accomplished with the software is a great way to get the attention of just about anybody
  • participate in local user groups - aside from the "productivity summits", there are several local or regional user groups organized around the country
  • Solid Edge University is a great way to connect with other users and help the message resonate
  • make a Synchronous Technology tutorial, and post it to a blog or forum. Those who ask for help in this regard will always find it. Tutorials are in high demand.
  • Make a YouTube video of working in the software. There is nothing you can do that will have a more widespread impact than a great CAD video

If you have other ideas for stuff you can do to promote the software that you use to make a living, please add to the comments.

Comments
by Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
on ‎02-26-2014 07:24 PM

Matt,

I my opinion customers in and of themselves have only a small influence on the way a cad product is perceived in the market. For customers to have any influence at all the product has to have at least some visibility. We (Solid Edge) have very little.

These days most if not all product information comes from internet searches. All businesses which I have dealt with over the past 10 years have relied on some form of internet search as their first port of call for finding new or comparative product information. In the past trade shows,  catalogues and company representatives provided much of this information - but these sources have far less influence today.

To illustrate our (Solid Edge's) lack visibility I have just set "3d cad" as the Google search term.

In my part of the world is was not until the end of the 6thy page of results I found a link to NX 3D CAD Modeling. No mention of Solid Edge of course. I also tried other search terms including looking for comparisons etc. - nothing. There may well have been something down on page 76 - but in my experience no one looks much further than 3 to 5 result pages. But id did find a link to Ironcad on the first page!

In my view until Solid Edge appears on the first page of a Google search for "3d cad" and the like we will still have little or no visibility.

I do however applaud your efforts in raising Solid Edge's visibility.

Cheers

Mark Fort

by Esteemed Contributor
on ‎02-28-2014 05:37 PM

Hi Matt, [phew, I made it back to the communityRobot Very Happy

This rings a bell [the good kind] for me, not only by the web presence, but the physical one...I still have a yearning for Sold Edge merchandise, as posted way back,....here [ http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Discussion-Forum/Solid-Edge-Merchandise/m-... ]

If more people saw the brand plastered out in the real world, more would have it on their mind when the thought of entering 3D CAD software world arrises. I feel most users of other 3D CAD products will be fully aware of Solid Edge, so their interest is differently pointed.

Personally, I'd love nothing more than have all of my clients & suppliers running whatever level of Solid Edge was appropriate for them...and the world would be a more logical place. Seriously! [or, maybe not....clients ] ;-)

by Phenom
‎03-05-2014 04:34 PM - edited ‎03-05-2014 04:35 PM

Matt-

In your stream of questions only one really stands out. “How would that [most SE customers] affect your business?” That truly is a great a question, in my opinion. The most obvious answer, is that I would have more business..but only if we hang on to one customer “requirement”.

Why do companies feel the need to make 3D models and drawings, in a native CAD system, a “requirement” for their deliverable- a finished physical product in most cases? I feel that this “requirement” is valid to an extent. As a customer I would like to have 3D models and the design documentation. Do I really need it in a specific native CAD format? Am I going to be making changes to this data? If so, then why hand off the design to 3rd party to design, in the first place?

It used to be that you delivered a set of paper drawings, yes I said paper, and 3D models in a neutral format- like STEP or IGES or Parasolid. Why have design firms felt the need to provide the native CAD models and CAD drawing files along with a set of pdf drawings? I feel that, as the design firm, you are providing much more IP in your models than the customer should required of you. Especially, if you are providing native CAD models and Drawing files! Some of that IP may be critical to your design competitive advantage- yet we give it away for other to use!

If you haven’t figured out where my logic is leaning towards, here it is. If your CAD system can handle the changes you need to make to ‘dumb” or non-native solids why go thru the hassle of interrogating how a part designed by someone else? Was the part built to make a changes or rushed to get you your design as fast as humanly possible and then struggle to make the changes- once again using a software without the proper tools. The benefit of “changes” to history-based parametric model has proven to be beneficial only if the design change can be done efficiently, thought of in advanced and “programmed” into the design. How often does that happen? So where is the value in using a native CAD system?

Siemens PLM and Solid Edge, with its years of product development in Synchronous Technology, has overcome the technology/software hurtle. But as everyone knows, you still have 20 years and a million CAD users to convince that Synchronous Technology provides a new tool set for design and design modifications. Now we aren’t running hurtles- we are pole vaulting!

Labels