Built-in design management capabilities in Solid Edge - what is your experience?

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Maybe because I work in the marketing team my work typically focuses on the add-on solutions we offer for design management - but Solid Edge has many excellent built-in design management capabilities that help manage your designs more effectively – and this is a key area for enhancements in the ST9 release we are currently working on.properties status.jpg

Windows Explorer integration is an important first step – while browsing folders of design data you can choose to display graphic thumbnails of Solid Edge parts, assemblies and drawings – and when you right click on the thumbnails you can open the file directly in the appropriate Solid Edge environment, and in other Solid Edge utilities such as View and Markup and Revision Manager. And if you click on the Properties option you can directly access the Solid Edge Properties dialog and edit standard and custom properties, and change the status of parts and even complete assemblies.

Revision Manager is another important utility included as a standard part of Solid Edge – and if you search on “revision manager” in this community site you will see that Solid Edge users are actively using this utility and exploring its limits! Revision Manager excels in quickly completing everyday design tasks – for example if you want to copy and rename an existing assembly while creating new revisions of some of the assembly components - this task is quickly completed. As we mentioned at SEU15, Revision Manager is an area we are working on for ST9 and I’m sure our users will be pleased at what they see in ST9 this summer.

rev mgr copy assy.jpg

View and Markup is another utility that is included with Solid Edge – and a slightly simpler version - the Solid Edge Viewer is available as a free download so you can make this available to any person in your organization who need to view and markup Solid Edge files. In addition to viewing Solid Edge parts, assemblies and drawings you can take measurements and create cross sections. One use of this tool is for markup of requested changes to designs – for example by field engineers or even customers who don’t have direct access to Solid Edge – and then use this markup as the basis for discussion and approval of the change by the design engineer. We also have the Solid Edge Mobile Viewer, an app for iOS, Android and Windows that can be downloaded for free from the respective app stores.

view and markup.jpg

But enough from me. Which of these utilities are you using? Are they helping you manage and share your design data? What limitations do you see that would drive you towards implementing specific design management software?

Comments
Phenom
Phenom

The window size is too small when trying to delete parts from the database with the Revision Manager.
It could be better if it's size would be customisable like other application!

RM_delete_bibliothe.jpg

The second point is the following:

While renaming a file with the Revision Manager it has to know where the file is used and I have to click on UPDATE. If not, after renaming this file, the file links looks well, but when opening the Assemblies, the new renamed file will not be there where is has to be!

Is it possible, that Solid Edge Updates all the links?

Yasser

update_all_01.jpg

Phenom

David, Glad to see that ST9 will improve RevMan for use heavy users. It is a very good tool, and that's why I assume it's been left alone for so many years.

In our business we re-use a lot of older Machine Designs to start a new one. We use RevMan to "Copy" the Assemblies and Parts into a "New" Parent folder. We then have to manually remake all the Sub Folders that hold the Sub Assemblies and purchased parts from vendors. This can sometimes take an hour or so and is fraught with both omissions and ERRORS of duplication.

It would be great if there were a command that "grouped" these Sub Assemblies in the original Parent Assembly and re-created them automatically in the NEW parent Assembly. Also it would be great if RevMan was smart enough to avoid giving me the "there's another version already" ERROR, and just let me either override it or "CLEAR" the copy instead of forcing me to go on a hunting expedition to find it.

Finally with regards to the Solid Edge Viewer.... there is NO App for the Windows 10 Mobile at the Microsoft Store. When do you think we will see it?

Bob

Siemens Experimenter

Yasser,

Please help me if I am not understanding correctly; but in order to rename a file the files must not be open in Solid Edge.

Simply click on the file you wish to perform the action on in RevMgr, set to rename, change the name and perform actions. Once you open the assembly the links/names are updated and shown in Solid Edge.

Brent

Siemens Experimenter

Bob,

A method that may save you some time is to create the new desired folder structure in windows explorer. If you are making a copy of the files you can select individual or groups of files and set the action to copy and then set the path to your created folder structure. This will allow you to maintain links and keep a similar folder structure.

Brent

Phenom
Phenom
Brent,

Yes, the file to rename should not be open in Solid Edge.

Concerning the second point, if you rename a PAR from an ASM X, you should
clich on Update in thr RM otherwise you will not get your ASM correctlly.

I had this situation on ST5 with the last MP.
I will test it on ST8 and let you know ...

Yasser
Siemens Experimenter

Yasser, 

Pleae keep me posted. I have tested on ST8. I have a simple 2 part assembly that I have created to test this method.

If I open the assembly in RevMgr, and choose a part to rename, the update button is greyed out. I can simply rename the part, perform actions and the links remain.

Let me know and we can step through your process.

Thanks

Brent

Phenom

"A method that may save you some time is to create the new desired folder structure in windows explorer"

Brent, Well RevMan can do this as well, so that's not the issue.

The problem is I need to manually got to each Sub Assembly in the old Assembly and force these parts into their desired sub folder. You see when we make a New Machine we collect all the Sheet Metal Parts into one folder, All Machined Parts into another, as well as all the different purchased parts into their own sub folders separated by vendors.

The big issue is having say 2 identical parts in two separate sub folders. When RevMan goes to process the job it can't cope with 2 separate Assemblies having the same part name, and gives me an error. This is due to the fact that both sub assemblies are trying to make copies to the same folder.... thus the constant searching for these duplicates. Making these same sub-folders in Explorer would not help RevMan cope any better.

So when I go into the Top Assembly of the old machine, everything is broken down logically. But making a COPY of that structure cannot be done easily without a lot of work.

Bob

Phenom
Phenom

Brent,

I tried the following:
Rename A.par to A1.par without UPDATING the links where A.PAR is used.
A.par is renamed to A1.par
A1.par is existing in the right folder
Solid Edge ST8 is still looking for A.par and not for the renamed file A1.par !!!
The solution in this case is to replace it with the RMB

To avoid this situation, we have to UPDATE the links where A.par is used BEFORE we rename it!

Yasser

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Siemens Genius

Bob,

thanks for your comments. The Solid Edge Mobile Viewer that we released for Windows 8.1 also works with Windows 10. I am running it on Windows 10 and it looks good to me - but let us know if you see anything different. We may need to change some of the text on the Windows store as it might give the impression that it is only for Windows 8.1

best regards

Dave

Phenom
"The Solid Edge Mobile Viewer that we released for Windows 8.1 also works with Windows 10." Dave, I have a new Lumia 950 running Windows 10 Mobile. If I go to the Microsoft Store and search for anything "Solid Edge" get a message saying "your search for Solid Edge had no results" Is this Mobile app in the Microsoft Store? Bob
Siemens Genius

Bob,

the Solid Edge Mobile Viewer is only available for PC versions of Windows 8.1 and 10, not Mobile. I will find out if we have any plans to support Windows 10 Mobile...

Dave

Siemens Genius

Bob,

whereas Windows 8 Mobile was quite distinct from Windows 8 for the PC - this will change with Windows 10. From techradar  "Windows 10 is designed to be unified between devices, not just with a similar look and universal apps, but by having phone and desktop work together"

So the Solid Edge Mobile Viewer should work on a Windows 10 phone

Dave

PLM World Member Valued Contributor

Hi All,

It will be good to have some improvements to Revision Manager. One I would like to see is that if it is dealt with up in the top window, ignore it when doing actions in the bottom window. This is usually when we do blanket revisions, you can guarantee that one think that should not have been selected gets selected and stops you from doing what you want... Then you generally lose all your selections by clicking in the wrong place.

We too use it for copying projects to bush bash into new projects. We also arrange things into many subfolders as well and have struck the issues that Bob has eluded to above. However, we generally use the edit function replace as a work around, where we copy most of the basic folder structure into the find location, then in the replace location paste the same and change the project number before hitting replace. Its a clunky workaround, so if there was an even better way to achieve the same thing then that would be great!

I get the feeling that something could be done to make a basic where used more efficient, but since it does not apply to all scenarios, then it probably isn't valid

Shane Murray

Farra Engineering LTD

Dunedin

NZ

Siemens Genius

Shane,

with the new built-in data management capabilities that are coming in ST9 the where-used capability will be significantly faster - you will have the ability to run the Windows indexer on the folders that contain your Solid Edge files and then all search operations will be significantly faster than currently. Lookout for the materials we will release on 16th May for more info on this,

best regards

Dave

Labels