SEU14: Fix the Downunder Blunder

MLombard
Retired

speaker_mason_200.jpgMany of you may be unaware of the event at previous SEU meetings called the “Design Better Challenge”. The Design Better Challenge was a competition to see who could model a part and make a change to it in the least amount of time. Rick Mason won the first two challenges. One of the prizes that Rick won, unbeknownst to him, was the privilege/obligation to lead the competition this year (not really, but I’m writing the blog post, and I’m making this up as I go).

In this year’s sequel, the Design Better Challenge: Downunder Blunder Rick is going to amp up the competition a little, and give it a little backstory to maybe make it more interesting.

The Downunder Blunder will involve competitors doing some modeling, some assembly work, drawing reading, and fixing a mistake in the original data caused by Rick’s waning eyesight. You can use Ordered or Sync Tech as you see fit. Prizes will be awarded for the three fastest overall times.

3-4-2014 1-52-29 PM.png

So this is an invitation to join Rick at Solid Edge University in Atlanta at 4:30 pm Tuesday, May 13th for a little fun and a test of your skills. There will be some cool prizes (to be announced), and maybe you can be crowned the 2014 Downunder Blunder Wunder, along with the right/priviledge/obligation to run the challenge next year.

SEU14_Amazement.pngRicks’ cat and Mrs. Rick have contributed to this story. Apparently the whole idea came from Mrs. Rick, and the cat did some modeling for promotional materials.

Remember that if you sign up before March 28, you can save $50 on Early Bird 2. You can save even more by bringing 3 people, and only getting charged for 2.

Comments
Phenom

I appreciate that user group meetings have these types of events but I still wonder about their value to community. It has been my experience that this type of activity only glorifies one person and their ability to rush through a design.

It might be an interesting concept to provide a problem or situation that needs to be resolved and then let a group/team collaborate to come up with solutions to a problem. This wouldn't be a 45 minute rush event. This could be staged so that it happens on multiple days. Progress could be shown over that period of time. In the end, the team would explain how they decided on their solution, what issues they had and how they overcame them or went around them, and what type of new features might be need to resolve some design process issues. In the end, the audience would then vote on the winning solution. (Heck if you have 3D printers maybe gets some prototypes created!)

This type of activity does a couple things:

1. demonstrates that design is not a one man show

2. demonstrates the utilization of many different software features/modules based on the type of solution and the extend that the team would like to tackle. (do you do analysis or renderings or CAM, etc.)

3. demonstrates creativity and design process

4. demonstrates how the design times can be reduced

Solution Partner Legend

Ryan,

Love your thoughts a whole heartedly agree!

That said, I participated in the challenge and feel that I learned something... persoanlly.

Agree, it did not build any additional sense of community but it did challenge my critical thinking and desighn approach process. It;s amazing how paniced one gets when under such a clock.

All said,  I agree and support the community approach to a problem solve!  In order for thsi to work the Solid Edge teeam would need a few users to commit ahead of the SEU event to be a team lead... 

Phenom

Yes, you are correct. I am glad you brought that point forward. 

This approach provides the community a chance to have multiple touch points before, during and after the conferences (hopefully to work on the next years project).

The key component of community, is relationships. Relationships need to grow over time with multiple "touch points" - not just a once a year neighborhood block party; when everyone goes home at the end of the night! 

How about a Robot insect war that has requirements:

1. No metal components with the exception electrical components

2. Max weight of 5 lbs

3. Envelope size of 6"X6"X6" in non-combat mode (maybe a couple larger sizes)

4. Designed using Solid Edge

5. Designed over a period of 3-6 months or year projects

6. Open to STEM programs and professionals (two categories)

7. Seperate events: War, obstacles, staight line timing race

Just a crazy thought......

Insect Wars

PLM World Member Genius

RyanM

I once try to get this kind of presentation at PLM world and I think at the reborn of SEU with ST4

Basically what I wanted, a small room where 20 person could sit, you bring your design on a usb key, so I could open it in front then let the user explain his situation,

Then exolore possible solutions or proposal and long the way give tips tricks. If need take notes and submit those to development. This would be like a live round table that could span over the entire SEU

Then move to the next person design and repeat the process

Phenom

Luc-

What you described is truly a design review with the possibility of being a round table event (if you had developers and product managers who could take the workflow back for analysis.

I  would like to see something that is more long-term team projects and allows for people to do more than one communication (touch point). You have to have initial momentum and multiple events to stay in motion. A once a year event doesn't provide that opportunity to form relationships and communities. It also doesn't provide the additional pushes to move your group along after the first big push. You will never reach the finish line that way. A strategy needs to be formed to focuses on events that have multiple touch points that provide the needed excitement/engery to keep things moving.

Solution Partner Legend

Ryan hits this one square on its head!!!

"The key component of community, is relationships. Relationships need to grow over time with multiple "touch points" - not just a once a year neighborhood block party; when everyone goes home at the end of the night! "

...and there is a slow growing momentum in place at the local user group level... I think in professional circles like this it's easy to disregard relationship and focus on product knoweledge...  but i feel without relationship folks loose interest in being involved thus never get the product knoweledge... 

I'm a huge proponent of Se communities and agree 1000% that "WE" need to focus on some fundamentals that may not be product specfic...  Relatioanl activities: just have fun, have a beer, team building, critiacal thining challenge, team vs team competition... but i fell it all circles back around to community and a community is foundationally built on relationships not nessicarily product knoweledge.

Retired

This event is just one event. It's not the entirety of the Solid Edge plan. In itself, it's a valid thing to do, but I agree we need to do other things as well. One of the priorities at this point is to get the community site up to snuff. You all have told us it isn't ideal, and we're responding. I know from having spent years where you are that it's frustrating to hear claims that something is being done without seeing anything, but that's our situation. The gears turn slowly.

We will get to more interesting group events, but before we can host them here, we need some infrastructure changes and more traffic. It will come. I can't do it myself, I need to enlist your help. I know you guys already play indispensible roles in growing the community - online and face to face. Just keep at it, and we will keep growing.

Thanks for all you guys continue to do, and keep the suggestions for improvement coming.

Phenom

Matt-

I'm more than happy to provide feedback and ideas. Hopefully I will be able to do more.

Ryan

PLM World Member Pioneer

Ryan,

The main reason I offered to take on the hosting of the Challenge this year was because I wanted to steer it towards resembling a real-world scenario rather than a textbook-based exercise. Mis-reading of tabulated data DOES happen in the real world, and fixing the ensuing 'mess' is the basis of this year's event.

Honestly, despite its merits I don't see the coordinated team event suggestion gaining traction in an environment where everyone is already faced with trying to be in 2 or 3 places at once as well as (for some of us) trying to deal with external issues throughout the duration of the conference together with fitting in some networking, downtime etc. etc.

I really hope that if you are attending SEU14 you join us for the Challenge - I think you will actually enjoy it, and maybe even crack a grin or two :-)

Rick.

Labels