ST7 Sneak Peek: Units Selection and Change

MLombard
Retired

When I arrived on Solid Edge's doorstep last June and started learning the software in earnest, I already had a pretty well defined idea of how I thought units should be handled in CAD software. Don't you just hate it when you get your units all mixed up, and there doesn't seem like there's a create way to manage everything? Well, in ST7 that's going to be better. Here's how the improvements work.

Picture1.png

First, the Units in ST7 are easier to access, as you can see from the application menu here. Just go to Properties, and then File Units are right there.

Next, the Units page shows up in the Solid Edge Options dialog. To me, this just makes it easier to find. Part of the purpose of the changes has been to make the units easier to control and synchronize with Dimension Styles.

You can select from popular unit systems or customize your units.

Picture2.png

The Dimension Style page of Solid Edge Options works much as it did before, with a couple of additions. First, you can see the addition of the Active Dimension Style option, which makes it clear right up front about the current state of the model settings. I like that.

Picture3.png

If you're interested in more of these ST7 leaks, keep your eye on this blog. This is where you'll see them first. If you want to be one of the first to know about the full range of new functions in Solid Edge ST7, register for Solid Edge University 2014 in Atlanta, May 12-14. Dan Staples will unveil the product in the morning keynote on Tuesday.

Comments
Phenom

Matt,

This is cool! Smiley Wink

Is there dm^2 like area unit in ST7?

BR,

Imi

Phenom
Matt, Is there any chance they've added DUAL readout for Parts so that when using "INSPECT" you see both Metric and ANSI numbers. Not having this is still a big PIA when designing mixed unit machines. If understanding this correctly, you can now change the WHOLE unit system of a part with the Active Dimension Style option, making wholesale changes a one click task.... Brilliant ! But back to my desire for DUAL unit readout... The world needs to get over this Metric dominance desire.... since it's not happening anytime soon. I'm not being stubborn, but as long as the US is 25% of the worlds GDP it's not going to change anytime soon. More then half the companies I build equipment for specify and want SAE hardware. So designing with both measurements systems is a hassle in Solid Edge. So please can some one ADD this in the Inspect Dialog box... PLEASE! Oh and I'll change 100% to Metric when England and Australia start driving on the correct side of the roads... that's so Middle Ages! Bob
Retired

Imics,

Do you mean "decimeter"? There are the more standard m, mm, cm, km and nm. No decimeter.

Bob,

The measure stuff is a different animal. I can neither confirm nor deny that I may have some sneak peek later on dealing with measurements...

By the way, ANSI could be metric or inch.

Most of my work has been in inch, but I really love the metric system. Especially when you're doing any sort of mass flow or thermal calculations, the English system is a mess. Interestingly, it might be modern software that saves an antiquated units system. These days folks don't do the hand calcs as much, so you might never run into the messy side of English units.

Phenom

Matt-

This is pretty slick. My question is this: Is this a tool for importing files where there is no actual units assigned to it?

Ryan

Retired

RyanM,

I don't think it's for that, I think it's primarily for changing/assigning units and maybe something to do with templates, which might indirectly affect imports. What files do you get with no units? AutoCAD I can see, but do you get 3D files without units?

Community Manager

@RyanM -- the only 3D format that is unitless is SAT (ACIS). This of course is a horrible oversight on their part, but it is what it is. When you import SAT, you have to tell it what units its in in the options dialog box. i.e. the "1" in the file means "1 inch". 

All other formats includes units in the file. Of course all the discussion of units above is what you want to WORK in and has nothing to do with the geometry itself. 

Phenom

Matt,

Yes almost, I think of square decimeter. But If there is no decimeter will not be square decimeter in ST7. No problem I'll have a ER.

BR,

Imi 

Labels