ST8: Sketching Enhancements

by Community Manager Community Manager ‎06-05-2015 07:02 AM - edited ‎06-05-2015 04:32 PM (4,116 Views)

Sometimes it is the simplest things that will wind up saving you the most time because you spend more time doing them. If you can shave off just a couple of seconds from repetitive tasks, that one improved task will save you time worth having by the end of the day.

ST8 has enhanced some sketching functions that save time and add options to your daily tasks. Let's take a look at 3 of these enhancements: Symmetric Line, Polygon by Midpoint and by Vertex, and the new Include command in the ordered environment.

Include Command

In ST8, the Include command in the ordered environment has been renamed to Project to Sketch. This gives it the same name and the same options dialog as its synchronous counterpart. Consistency like this helps users to make optimal use of both synchronous and ordered workflows. The new terminology also lines up better with other mid-range modelers that users switching to Solid Edge may be familiar with.

New Options for Polygon by Center

There are two new options for Polygon by Center. These are By Vertex and By Midpoint. By Vertex uses a circle that (circumscribes) touches the polygon at all the vertices, and would allow you to specify a hexagon across the sharp corners. By Midpoint uses a circle inscribed on the polygon (across the flats). The "across the sharps" or "across the flats" ideas work differently for even vs odd number of sides.

The figure on the left is By Vertex/circumscribed/across the sharps and the one on the right is By Midpoint/inscribed/across the flats.

Symmetric Lines

Very frequently you draw lines that you want to be symmetric. In ST8, Solid Edge adds a tool that makes drawing lines with this type of relationship set up right out of the gate very easy. Here's how it works. Click where you want the midpoint of the line to be, move the cursor, and press S on the keyboard, and the line extends past the first point. It's tough to describe, but try it once, and you'll get it immediately.

Comments
by Legend
on ‎06-05-2015 01:25 PM

Just curious- can we import 3D dwgs or dxfs into 3D sketch now?

by Esteemed Contributor
on ‎06-05-2015 01:32 PM

What the heck is a "Sletch"? Smiley Tongue

by Community Manager Community Manager
‎06-05-2015 04:36 PM - edited ‎06-05-2015 04:39 PM

"Sletch" is a well-known late-night variant of "sketch". Smiley Frustrated Short for "sloppy spelling". Thanks for catching that.

lking, post an example file, I'll give it a shot.

by Dreamer
on ‎06-09-2015 01:06 AM

Ohh yeah!!! I've being expecting for this symmetric lines for ages!!! Great!!! Smiley Happy

by Honored Contributor
on ‎06-10-2015 10:09 AM

It's remarkable what impresses us. SolidWorks has had a polygon sketch tool for at least 15 years with all these features like inscribed and circumscribed and more including changing number of sides. Welcome to the 20th century.

by Phenom
‎06-10-2015 11:46 AM - edited ‎06-10-2015 11:47 AM

@bshand"SolidWorks has had a polygon sketch tool for at least 15 years"

Well I can agree to some point... since my old CAD package had this too. But for the handful of times in my 15+ years of using Solid Edge, I probably wished I had this tool maybe a dozen times.

On the other hand SolidWorks still doesn't have Synchronous Technology... and Synch saves me more time in hour then what a "polygon" tool can save me in a year. So I'm glad Development's priorities are focused on the big stuff.

Bob

by Honored Contributor
‎06-10-2015 12:58 PM - edited ‎06-10-2015 01:03 PM

I agree Bob. And I look forward to getting into ST8. I hope it will help with some of the difficulties I sometimes have using synchronous.

It would be wonderful if we could combine all the good things we've seen or used from all the CAD packages we encounter.

Then again, someone considered this feature newsworthy so I couldn't help opining.

by Creator
on ‎07-14-2015 11:26 PM

hi

i would like to say even with synchronous tech in solidedge there is some drawback in surfacing modeling such as: for instance let say we use sketch to make an extrude surface, it will be impossible to change the shape, without going back(undo) to change the sketch and then the surface ; but in history based  it is  easier to introduce a change by modifying the sketch as you like and then the surface is updated accordingly

so is there any kind of trick(without undo) to do the same in synchronous?

by Community Manager Community Manager
on ‎07-15-2015 10:30 AM

I would like to say even with synchronous tech in solidedge there is some drawback in surfacing modeling such as: for instance let say we use sketch to make an extrude surface, it will be impossible to change the shape, without going back(undo) to change the sketch and then the surface ; but in history based  it is  easier to introduce a change by modifying the sketch as you like and then the surface is updated accordingly

so is there any kind of trick(without undo) to do the same in synchronous?

No, there is no trick. You can make Synchronous changes to surfaces (dims, steering wheel) if the surface is prismatic (planar, cylindrical, conical, spherical, toroidal). But if it's a general NURBS spline-based shape, you can't edit the surface in Solid Edge w/ Synchronous Technology.

Part of the advantage of sync is that it frees you from the parent/child dependencies, so you can change the geometry directly.

Labels