Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steering Wheel - The Gateway to Synchronous Modeling

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

The previous article discussed 'advanced' techniques on Steering Wheel but also listed the following basic techniques:

1. Move the steering wheel where you want it by the origin.
  2. Shift + Origin to move while preserving the orientation.
  3. Shift + Bearing for angle around the other axis.
  4. Ctrl + Bearing for an angle in the plane of axes.
  5. Shift + Tool plane to flip the orientation.
  6. Origin + Drag to an edge to align with.
  7. Shift + Bearing + Select a point to orient.

Many people are shy of asking for more information about the topic in the comments section of the article and send out personal messages instead. I ended up compiling a series of videos into a single one that demonstrates these basic steering wheel manipulation techniques.

I didn't want to do demonstrate each topic using a meaningless lump of solid, but at the same time, it was difficult to find a proper model to show the use case for each manipulation. Here's a video with my voice over:

I have attached the SE2019 files if you'd like to try the steps on your own.

Building on these basic techniques for orienting the steering wheel, here's the video once again for the advanced techniques:

Comments
Siemens Phenom

Hi Tushar,

Nice videos. There is one more useful tip for the origin that may not be well known. Shift + double-click on the origin will orient the Steering Wheel to the global x,y,z orientation.

Greg

Genius

Hi Tushar,

Great! tutorials.

Is it possible that you can share your models?

I will use them for learning, step by step.

Cheers,

Geir

Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Tushar

again, great and wonderful video tutorials  which will help the big SE community a lot.

May I add one single additional opinion.

You have shown the  use of steering wheel in assembly context for positioning a part.

And then You have used the Assembly Relationship Assistant to create the relations for it.

I personally prefer the integrated assistant of the steering wheel options here.

This allows me to create those relations "on the fly" - so to say, and saves me from  using an extra function afterwards.

Maybe this can help too:

(view in My Videos)

Hi Greg,

That is definitely a great steering wheel shortcut and I remember you have mentioned this once before as well, in some other discussion.

Can you give me a hint where this tip could potentially be used, I will expand on it in the upcoming video on Steering Wheels, and due credit will be given.

Thanks!

Hi Geir,

Thanks for showing interest in having the original files.

I am glad to attach them to the original post.

Regards,

Tushar

Aww! 

@hawcad

I absolutely had no idea about this feature.

This seems to be truly the greatest of Steering Wheel tips since it is very much a part of the selection.

I will include this in my next video for Steering Wheels.

Thanks a ton!

Hi @Tushar

no matter so far.

I was afraid of posting my answer, not knowing wether or not You was aware about and have a reason to not mention it.

But - as You said - IMHO this is one of the greatest steering will functionalities we have since ST4 (this came in with ST4, over 7 years ago).

That functionality will give us the possiblitiy to place several instances more or less on the fly.

If it is ok, I will provie a short video about that, showing the power of the steering wheel in this content.

Hi @Tushar

Hi Edgers,

I permit me to post this short video I just have taken to demonstrate the power of the Steering Wheel in assembly use.

(view in My Videos)

What - after all those years - always makes me suroprising a little is the fact, that people claim, they have found the button to turn off the steering wheel in assembly.

What they IMHO do not know is, that they will bring theirselves by at least 50% of efficeny.

Ok, we can discuss the percentage value, but at all, it is a lost.

Siemens Phenom

@Tushar a case where orienting the Steering Wheel to correspond to the global x,y,z orientation is useful is when your parts must be positioned with respect to the global assembly cooridnate system, such as if you are designing a factory or something. The machines must all be placed according to the factory floor's orientation. In most cases, parts aren't necessarily modeled such that their origin / orientation match that of the assembly they are being placed in. This is especially true if you are using imported data. I'm sure there are other cases where it's useful, too, but this is one I could think of off the top of my head.

Greg

Hi @hawcad

Your videos are a great welcome.

Please share videos about steering wheel in your reply.

Regards,

Tushar