What's New in ST10: Overview

MLombard
Retired

1.png

Every now and then a release comes along and we point to it for years afterward and say “this all started there”. The original ST was one of those releases, and it is the reference point we use for the beginning of Synchronous Technology. ST10 is another, and we will refer to ST10 as the starting point of Convergent Modeling in Solid Edge. I’m going to start by defining some terms, but don’t worry, there is a lot more to this release than this one topic.

There will be more blog posts detailing the new functionality, here I am just giving you an overview. Let’s hear some cheering in the comments for your favorite new enhancements!

Convergent Modeling

The “synchronous” in Synchronous Technology meant that several things were happening at the same time, rather than sequentially in order. In the same way, Convergent Modeling means that certain technologies are coming together.

The technologies that are coming together are:

• Mesh Modeling – enables you to use mesh models as solid models
  • Reverse Engineering – the ability to get a BREP based solid body from mesh model
  • Generative Design – reverses the FEA process to create optimized mesh geometry from a set of input conditions

2.pngSome people may say “yeah, but I never work with subd models”. That’s because you couldn’t. Now you can. And now that you can, I’ll bet you’ll find a lot of applications for using that kind of data. Here are some examples of the kind of data you can work with now:

STL – 3d print data, JT, models that come from 3DSmax, Mudbox, Zbrush, modo, and a thousand other subdivision mesh tools, how about medical CAT scan or MRI data, analysis mesh models, VR and AR models – anything that you can save in a compatible format.

The ability to use mesh data in our designs is an important step forward into next generation design. I know there have been a lot of discussions here on this blog and also in the forum about this very topic. I’m glad to be associated with a development team that really listens to what customers and potential future customers are looking for. There is so much mesh data that exists “out there”, and now we can use it. Palm trees and people in my renderings. Yeah, baby.

Part Enhancements

Scale Body command! Yes! Allows all positive values (not arbitrarily limited the way some CAD programs are). Scales about origin. Allows non-uniform scaling. You can select multiple bodies (and it will automatically scale multiple lumps within bodies).

Holes

When you change standards, holes will find the nearest equivalent in the new standard. There is also a new tool to detect and report errors in the hole database.

Sketching

Draw command in sketch enables touch screen users to draw on the screen and capture sketch entities like Catchbook.

PathXpres in 3D sketch enables automatic routing, point to point. 3D sketch has also been enhanced for routing, including adding the Split command.3.png

Interface

One of the big things that I know a lot of people will be interested in is Multi-Lingual Setup. The upshot here is that you can easily change languages without uninstall/reinstall just by using the Windows Control Panel, Region and Language dialog.

Help

In ST10, you can now serve the HTML Help locally for your own use or on a local server to serve the data for everyone at your facility. See the sesetup.pdf for details.

There is also a new Help homepage for documentation and learning resources.

On this page you’ll find a number of installation and integration guides to help administrators find the info they need to find. This includes guides for Solid Edge, Teamcenter, Insight, Share Point, and Standard Parts.

Data Management

4.pngThere are some exciting enhancements in data management as well, following some of the nice things added in ST9. For example, Design Manager will now recognize standard parts. The Data Management tab also has a new Revisions command that enables you to access all the revisions of a single file, for vault users. Also building on the document numbers functions, ST10 can now assign file names automatically based on that information, again for vault users. There is also a new Find Duplicates command. Even simple file management is becoming powerful.

ST10 also has a couple of new drawing related document management tools. First, there’s an Open Drawing command  on the Data Management tab that opens the drawing related to the active part or assembly.

Also, you can automatically copy the drawing during Save As and Replace with Copy operations. That will really simplify some things.

Translators

The new 3MF 3D print format can be used for export of part, assembly, and sheet metal data. There are enhancements for export to JT and STL as well.

You can now import mesh models to the Synchronous environment from JT, IFC, STL and STEP. Export mesh to JT, IFC, 3MF, and STL.

Collaboration

The free Solid Edge 2D Drafting tool now also works as a viewer for full Solid Edge data. No license required.

3D Print

Several enhancements for 3D printing have been added to ST10. You can now print directly from your desktop (with Windows 10). There is also a 3D print service portal for ordering a 3D print from a service provider. The 3MF 3D print format is now available for export.

Draft Enhancements

• In ST10 you can now override data cells with property text.
  • Associative updates for PMI retried in drawing views
  • Hole table enhancements
  • Detail view scale interface improvements
  • A new annotation property extracts cut length
  • Precise table placement
  • Undo command now works for drawing views

Summary

This is a great release for the future of using mesh data in engineering workflows. In the coming weeks we will explore the details of some of this new functionality. Please use this blog to ask questions and make comments.

Comments
Genius

I won't say I encounter it often, but there have been a number of times I've wanted to use mesh models with Solid Edge files and couldn't. Attempts at converting mesh to brep have not been pretty or efficient or successful.

Very interested to see how these new abilities play out.

Valued Contributor

Where can I find a breakdown of what new features are included in Solid Edge Foundation vs. Classic vs. Premium? Also, are there any new modules, such as flow simulation, that are not included in any of the packages and are an additional cost?

Esteemed Contributor

GREAT questions @David_McMahon!......I'd also like to learn a little more of that kind of info.

PLM World Member Genius

Is there anyone that we can discuss the capabilities of Technical Publications with?

We have a site that is considering making a purchase of another competing software application. If we could get some information on whether this Solid Edge tool will accomodate our needs, we would wait for ST10. It is something we would need to figure out soon.

Carl Breving

S&C Electric Company

Legend

I've been using the reverse engineering add-in since first released, Just before SEU16. I'm assuming that this "add-in" will become standard with all SE installs since it's already been available to all? (hopefully)  I have a feeling the generative design will be a part of the premuim or as an option?

Great update all around!

Retired

@Craig_H and @David_McMahon, about what new functions are included at which levels, I think we are putting together an answer for that. I understand some of this functionality will be available as a "freemium", and some will be part of various levels, or possibly add-ins. Realize that some functionality is Parasolid, and some developed outside. That might be part of the decision making, but I'm not sure.

Retired

@breving the tech pubs function is from Quadrispace. What functions in particular are you looking for? You can contact me privately if you don't want your response to be public.

Esteemed Contributor

@MLombard  What does this mean?

"Design Manager will now recognize standard parts."

Pioneer
Pioneer

Are details of system requirements available for ST10?

Retired

@bshand  Maybe "Standard Parts" should have been capitalized. Standard Parts is the library of nuts and bolts. So the Design Manager  recognizes those as distinct from regular parts that you make in Solid Edge.

Esteemed Contributor

@MLombard, So does that mean it can automatically, for example, filter out those parts when doing copies, or I should say "save as"?

Retired

@bshand I wasn't involved in the development, and I haven't taken the opportunity yet to test the functionality in detail. I will test that out and write a blog on the functionality. Working on other articles right now, though.

Judging from how other systems handle that, though, I would guess that it does not filter out those parts on a Save As, because what if the target destination does not also have the Standard Parts tool? Or what if you have made some modifications, or special properties, or this or that?

I worked with one CAD library (that worked with a different CAD program) that removed the library parts from a save as, and if the receiving party also had the library, but didn't have it set up in exactly the same way, which was the most likely situation, the received assemblies wound up with the wrong sizes. One accidental save, and they lost the integrity of their nuts and bolts.  It was a mess, and they kept issuing little bandaids to fix it, but I don't think they ever really got there, it was the root concept that was flawed. It was a problem that went on for as long as I was involved with the product.

I believe the Solid Edge development team is smarter than that, and won't design themselves or their users into that kind of trap.

Esteemed Contributor

@MLombard, Yes, I understand that there could be problems. In our case though we know we have the library. So, when we do copies we have to be sure to filter out std parts. Not hard to do but it leaves me wondering what is meant by this "new feature".

Siemens Phenom

@bshand ...leaves me wondering what is meant by this "new feature"...  isn't that what a preview is supposed to do ;-)

Esteemed Contributor

@uk_dave, I guess but you'd think there might be the slightest hint. Else why mention it? That's what I wonder too.

Retired

@db, sorry for the slow answer. The Readme.htm installed with ST10 at this point still shows ST9 requirements, I don't believe it is updated yet for ST10. Still, I've copied the contents below, just be aware that it may change:

Solid Edge ST9 Readme

Operating System Requirements and Information

This release of Solid Edge has been certified to run on the following:

• Windows 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, or Professional (64-bit only) with Service Pack 1
  • Windows 8 or 8.1 Pro or Enterprise (64-bit only)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise or Professional (64-bit only) version 1511 or later
  • Internet Explorer 11

NOTE: Solid Edge ST9 is 64-bit only. Solid Edge ST6 was the last release of 32-bit Solid Edge.

Windows Home and Windows RT are not supported.

Solid Edge stops certifying new releases against an operating system shortly after Microsoft drops mainstream support for it. Solid Edge ST9 will not install on Windows Vista or Windows XP. Microsoft dropped mainstream support for Windows 7 in January 2015. Solid Edge ST9 continues to install on Windows 7, however, if there is a Windows 7 specific problem, we cannot guarantee that a fix can be provided if support is required from Microsoft.

NOTE: Solid Edge ST10 will be the last Solid Edge release to support Windows 7.

Solid Edge does not support the Windows 10 browser, Microsoft Edge. 

Hardware System Requirements

Recommended system configuration

• 64-bit Windows 7 or Windows 10 operating system
  • 8 GB RAM or more
  • True Color (32-bit) or 16 million colors (24-bit)
  • Screen Resolution: 1280 x 1024 or higher, widescreen format

Minimum system configuration

• Any of the above 64-bit operating systems
  • 4 GB RAM or more
  • 65K colors
  • Screen Resolution: 1280 x 1024 or higher
  • 5.0 GB of disk space is required to install Solid Edge.

It is not recommended that you run Solid Edge on Server operating systems.

Internet Explorer is not required to be the default browser.

Some Solid Edge commands require Microsoft Excel. Solid Edge stops testing with Microsoft products shortly after Microsoft drops mainstream support for them. Microsoft dropped mainstream support for Office 2007 in October 2012. Microsoft dropped mainstream support for Office 2010 in October 2015.  ST9 will be the last release to support Office 2010. With ST9, we recommend Microsoft Office Professional 2013.

For more information on Solid Edge ST9 operating system and 3rd party support, go to www.siemens.com/gtac, click "Hardware and Software Certifications", and then click "Solid Edge ST9".

Display System Requirements and Information

Solid Edge runs on graphics drivers that support Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. Contact your graphics driver manufacturer to determine whether their graphics adapter/driver supports these operating systems.

For optimal performance, it is recommended to use a professional graphics card that is designed for CAD applications. At least a 256MB graphic card is recommended when working with large assemblies or complex parts.

Note that running with extremely high screen resolution and color depth increases the memory requirements on the system and may result in apparent performance degradation. If experienced, reconfigure the display system to the recommended resolution and color depth for improved performance.

When running Solid Edge, if you experience an abnormally high abort rate, parts disappearing, or other graphic anomalies you may not be using the appropriate graphics driver. 

For information about cards and drivers used in testing Solid Edge and results, go to www.siemens.com/gtac, click "Hardware and Software Certifications", and then click "Hardware (Graphics Card) Certifications".

Also setting Display Fonts to Large Fonts or Extra Large Fonts (larger than 96 DPI) may cause some Solid Edge user interface items to not display as intended. Recommendation to resolve these would be to use Normal Fonts (96 DPI).

A wide-screen ribbon layout has been added for Solid Edge. This new ribbon layout is optimal for horizontal screen resolutions set to 1920 or above. Solid Edge automatically detects your resolution and sets the ribbon layout to wide-screen starting at horizontal resolutions 1600 and above. You will see some group collapsing on the right side of the Ribbon on resolutions between 1600 and 1920.

Experimenter

So when is it SE10 available for download?  

Labels