A Challange for Jason

Hi Jason,

A while back I tried to add my own smart-step ribbon bar to SE. I posted in the forum but didn't get any furthur despite the wonderful explanation of how to do it in the Programmers Guide Smiley Wink

The reason I wnt to do this is because of the stability and close integration of the smart-step bar. It is always in the same place and would allow us to receive input in the same way that SE does, making it easier for the user and removing the necessity of having some big old ugly Form pop up for the entry of two or three values.

My Challange: Add a demo Smart-Step bar to the add-in templates.

Cheers

Calum

Posted by: Calum McLellan
Post date: 9/14/2005 10:09:05 PM

8 REPLIES

RE: A Challange for Jason

Calum,

Now you're really asking me to get myself in trouble . The Solid Edge API obviously doesn't support this functionality so we'd be left with Win32 PInvoke. It can be done because I just wrote a demo app, although it doesn't quit work as you'd want. Basically I created a Toolbar and called SetParent() to reparent it to the main toolbar. It shows up, but it's over the other toolbars . I'll keep digging and see what I can come up with.

The other alternative is to use the EdgeBar, which my templates include. Although I don't think that's quite what you're looking for.

If my free time , I'll see what I can conjour up .

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 9/15/2005 10:17:25 AM

Hi Jason,

The Solid Edge API does support this - apparently... I found documentation in an old programming guide - they have since removed it but the interface is still there - SolidEdgeFramework.ISolidEdgeRibbonBar

It got added with version 9 so if you have an old Programmers Guide lying around you might get some help there.

Cheers

Calum

Post date: 9/15/2005 8:22:33 PM

Well well well. Looky what I got going . I'm still trying to figure it all out, BUT, I did get a RibbonBar added to prove that it is possible. Nice find Calum. It will take me some time to get everything ironed out where this works smoothly but I'll for sure do an article or something on it when I figure it all out.

Post date: 9/16/2005 4:46:11 AM

I knew I could count on you to get this going, I didn't think you'd manage it quite that quickly though - nice one . let me know when that horrible case-sensitive version of yours is ready for translation (just kidding - I'm just too lazy to use anything other than VB )

Post date: 9/16/2005 10:22:23 PM

Hi Jason,

Any chance of a sneak preview of your half-finished code?

Cheers

Calum

Post date: 9/27/2005 6:30:52 PM

Hi Jason,

Could you possibly post (or e-mail) some code for getting the handle required to add the ribbon bar. I know you're pretty busy at the moment, but I'm working on something where I'd really like to use this. C# would be fine

Thanks

Calum

Post date: 10/27/2005 7:30:21 PM

I guess I dropped the ball on this one huh . I got a working example in like 1/2 a day and haven't had time to work on it since

Attached is the source code that I had up to this point. Key files are Addin.res and EdgeBarControl.cs. Addin.res contains a Win32 dialog and EdgeBarControls show's you how to implement the RibbonBar.

There is still much to be worked out though . Now it's your turn to shock me and finish it .

Post date: 10/28/2005 2:42:42 PM

Hi Jason,

thanks heaps.

I'll be looking into this real soon - I'll let you know when I've finished it

Post date: 11/1/2005 8:20:36 AM