Accessing Solid Edge data directly in API

From SolidEdge Programming Overview:

“Accessing Solid Edge data directly. Solid Edge writes its data internally to Parasolid format. If your application can read Parasolid format, you can directly hook into the Solid Edge data stream without any intermediate translation.

1.      How do you ‘read Parasolid format’? Is it like reading dxh – a plain text file?

2.      How do you ‘hook into the Solid Edge data stream’?

Is it possible with VB?

In general, how and for what tasks can we use VB without opening SE?

Thanks for any info, any lead!

Posted by: Sanjay Kulkarni
Post date: 7/25/2008 7:42:40 AM

4 REPLIES

RE: Accessing Solid Edge data directly in API

I don't think this is possible in VB6.  I could be wrong.  I think that documentation is mainly for C++ programmers.  I suppose it could be possible in .NET but not without a lot of work.  Solid Edge files are stored using a Microsoft technology called "Structured Storage".  You can read all about it on MSDN at: msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa380369(VS.85).aspx

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 7/27/2008 9:24:53 PM

I don't think this is possible in VB6.  I could be wrong.  I think that documentation is mainly for C++ programmers.  I suppose it could be possible in .NET but not without a lot of work.  Solid Edge files are stored using a Microsoft technology called "Structured Storage".  You can read all about it on MSDN at: msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa380369(VS.85).aspx

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 7/27/2008 9:24:57 PM

Thanks Jason, for the info.

I just had a look at the page. I'll explore links on this page and come back if I have more questions.

Posted by: Sanjay Kulkarni
Post date: 8/3/2008 6:10:23 AM

Sanjay,

par and psm files are in OLE2 Compound Document format. If you're using .NET I'd suggest the easiest thing is to use something like the GemBox.CompundFile component from http://www.gemboxsoftware.com/CompoundFile.htm. This gives you very easy access to the storages and streams within the compound file. I don't know how you'd go about this in VB6.

In a V20 par file you'll see a storage called 'PARSOLID' and within this there are two streams 'STREAM0.D_B' and 'STREAM0.P_B'. The P_B file is a Parasolid partition file which can be extracted and read into Parasolid. I think stream names can be different in older Solid Edge files.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Andrew Sherlock

http://www.partbrowser.com/

Posted by: Andrew Sherlock
Post date: 8/22/2008 5:00:32 AM