Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add-In does not throw exceptions

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

The add-in will throw errors while debugging with VS2017, but not when using the published version.

This is very confusing for users and bad for debugging in the field.

They are now confronted with strange SE behaviour which they can't point to a cause.

I do have error handling in this add-in, but this does not prevent me from making mistakes which need to be found while using the add-in.

What am I missing here?

Is there an SE setting to enable generic add-in error messages or do I need to set something in the add-in itself?

2 REPLIES

Re: Add-In does not throw exceptions

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@rda What I do it in my error traps, I always have it display a message box stating there is an error along with the actual error message.  Helps with debugging and lets the user know something happened.  I'm not aware of any SE switch to allow addins to run in a debug mode...

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com
Highlighted

Re: Add-In does not throw exceptions

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@KennyG, that's exactly what I do when I want to show an error message about an exception to the user, but that's when I already know things could go wrong in that part of the code. I don't want to add try catch statements all over my code.

I've developed add-ins for other applications like Autodesk Inventor and MS Office and they throw default errors by default, and when you want the errors to go away you need to fix your code by a. adding error handling and when necessary custom error messages, or b. prevent the error from happening at all by adding more checks.