Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add-In installer

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have developed an Add-In for Solid Edge. I developed it using Visual Studio, and was able to run it with Solid Edge after running the Register-SolidEdgeAddIn command in the Package Manager Console. All in all, I'm quite happy with it.

Now, I'm trying to make an installer for it and I've hit a brick wall. I've created a Visual Studio Installer Setup Project to he solution, set the primary output for the solution to install in "Application Folder" and set it's 'Register' value to 'vsdrpCOM'. I then built the installer project, yielding me an msi file and a setup.exe file. Upon running, the solution files are installed in the Application Folder I set, but when I run Solid Edge, the plugin is not there.

What am I doing wrong?

4 REPLIES

Re: Add-In installer

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Is your addin a .NET addin?

If yes, you may need to use the regasm tool to register the assembly instead of regsvr32 to register the dll.

I don't write .NET addins (only in unmanaged C++) nor do I use the Microsoft setup, so I am not sure if this will help.

For my C++ addins and in the NSIS setup file, I always use regsvr32 to register my addin DLLs without problem.

NOTE: The setup MUST be run as Administrator to work correctly!

Experimenter
Experimenter

Do you found a solution to create an installer?

I'm facing the same problem right now in my c# project

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi!

I had a customer with the same issue. For some reason, the Setup Project of VS doesnt register your AddIn correctly. And if your dll is not registered into the registry SE wont notice and run your AddIn.

If you fiddle enough with VS Setup project, I guess you could make it work, but the fast solution is Inno Setup in my opinion.

You can define pre and post installation procedures (like run registration on your addIn.dll), and much more.

Give it a try, it will work.

Thomas

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, it is completley free Smiley Happy

Experimenter
Experimenter

I got it working Smiley Happy

I just had to copy and replace the files from the folder bin\Debug, to the installation folder.

Something didn't get through the install-compiler, or something, I don't know.

And the Register the addin using CMD with admin rights:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /codebase  "C:\Program Files (x86)\SomeName\SomeName\ProgramName.dll"

If you want to unregister the add-in use CMD with admin rights:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\SomeName\SomeName\ProgramName.dll"